Ring Elite - can it be actuated with exiting doorbell

I connected the doorbell connections on my Ring Elite to connectors both side of the exiting doorbell button .
Existing chime works with Ring. I was hoping this would also actuate the Ring unit when existing doorbell is pressed - same as pressing button on the ring Unit. I would like to be informed when someone rings my bell if I am away from home. This would justify cost of subscription. I do not want to be informed each time another building resident walks by . All of the building doorbell buttons are together and Ring unit is located some distance from them so a visitor is unlikely to press the button on the Ring unit.

Also was I supposed to have gotten a trial period subscription to Ring’s cloud - it says “expired”.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Community, @SFvalue! At this time, standalone or existing chime or intercom buttons cannot be integrated to notify your Ring app, or cause your Doorbell Elite to do so. There may be a 3rd party integration that you can obtain, or even an Alexa routine that might come close to this. Feel free to check around the Community to see if other neighbors have shared a solution like this.

As we always value our neighbors’ feedback, feel free to add this request on our Feature Request Board. This way other neighbors can share their interest in one place, that we can organize and share with our teams here.

In regards to your free trial period, all newly purchased Ring devices come with a 30 day trial period which starts upon first successful setup. If this is not the case for your Doorbell Elite, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I live in in a multiunit building. All doorbells are in same location. There is not a place to mount the Ring unit to be a practical replacement for the existing doorbell button. I ran a line from chime terminals on Ring unit to each side of exiting door bell button. The existing chime does indeed actuate when button on Ring unit is pressed.

I assumed that Ring would detect the drop in voltage when the exiting doorbell button was pressed and actuate so I could get an alert when I was not home that someone had pressed my bell. Per phone technical support the lead connection terminals on Elite can only actuate the chime and not allow for use of exiting doorbell button to actuate the Ring unit.

I do not want an alert sent each time another resident in my building walks by.

Lacking this feature the Ring Elite does not provide functionality beyond my exiting security camera which can also send motion alerts to my phone and provide two way audio. I will probably return the Ring Elite for a refund and hope this deficiency is addressed in future product from Ring or another manufacturer.

Allowing customers to continue to use their exiting doorbell button while getting the features of Ring technology seems like something obvious desirable in a future product.