Ring Doorbell2 started showing power source as battery after 2 years

I am having the same issue. It has worked well for years - stopped working due to battery being depleted. I removed and recharged it. I tested the wires at the doorbell and all is well. Reconnected Ring and the Power Source is now ‘Battery’. Ring can figure out how to fix this, or I will move over to Unifi Protect. Please advise.

1 Like

any updates on this, Mine is doing the same thing and its been 2 years also. I even replaced the transformer and same issue

Look like I might have to switch to the Wyze Doorbell, look pretty and ways and free cloud storage. It just crazy the people that have this issue and Ring isnt doing anything about it. Seems like they are forcing people to upgrade

2 Likes

Hi there, neighbors! There are a number of factors that might drain your Ring devices battery or even impact the effectiveness of an applied charge to it from existing wiring. Our Community post about battery drain covers many of these variables, from usage to environmental causes. Understanding that you are wanting to see the status in your device health, optimizing the effectiveness of a charge on the battery might help with this. Please also ensure the Ring app is up to date, or even try checking on another mobile device, if possible. It’s also worth checking your battery life overtime to see if a charge is being applied to the battery, even if it is not shown in the Ring app.

Same problem here, after 2 years off having no issues. now the ring doorbell 2 shows that it is running on battery. I checked the power adapter with a multimeter and everything its ok. any advice?

1 Like

Same happening with our Ring2! Will show Hardwired for awhile, then switches back to Battery and starts draining! Take it apart, check the wiring & voltage, all is fine. Put it back together, shows Hardwired for a few days & then goes back to Battery! So irritating! There HAS to be a Ring defect that they won’t admit to!

2 Likes

Yes. Its a Ring scam. It seems they are intentionally changing the firmware so that people need to buy the new ring door bell. Its like apple scam where new software was pushed to drain the battery. Its a shame that the people whom we trust for our security are trying to steal money from out pocket. Someone should file a case against Ring to investigate it further.

1 Like

Talking to technical support is a joke. Its rather sales department which will force you to buy new doorbell instead of resolving any technical issues.

2 Likes

The same thing was happening to me. What I found work was instead of selecting “device health” in the App, click on the little green battery icon in the top right of the app. Magically, it changed from power source: battery to power source: hardwired.

It appears to be an app issue.

similar issues with my Ring Doorbell 2. Only a few months old, hardwired, not showing as charging but has solar symbol showing??
Just been out with multimeter, 20+ volts on the terminals connected to the doorbell, I’ve seen lots of threads with LOTS of people complaining about this, generic useless replies from Ring and then the threads get closed.

As my doorbell is less than 12 months old and is an electrical item and I’m in the UK I will be returning it for a refund as per my statutary rights

Often times a change in battery usage can make a charge supplied by wiring less effective. This could be due to an increase in events or even environmental factors such as cold temperatures.

You might also find use from this checklist I put together, for optimal hardwiring. :slight_smile:

Well the Ring Video Doorbell is a junk after 2 years. I have the transformer, checked all the wiring and still didnt work
I switched to the the Blink Doorbell, hooked it up (hard wired) and worked perfectly
This proves Ring is basically forcing you yo upgrade if you want to keep it hard wired. It magically switch the battery powered and the option was greyout to even change it back to hardwired
oh and the help says to call support but they wont help you because its out of warranty

A post was split to a new topic: Hardwired battery doorbell not charging