Ring Doorbell Wired 2021 killing transformers

I received my Video Doorbell Wired 2021 and followed the installation videos. The doorbell worked for about 10 minutes and suddenly had no power. Walking out to the garage you could smell the burned up transformer. It was a 16v 10va and I assumed that was the issue so I replaced it with a 16v 30va from Home Depot. Everything was working great for about a half hour and suddenly the doorbell is dark again and the transformer is hot as all get out. So I disconnected the wired leading out of the transformer and it began to cool down.

The old doorbell worked as it should. But two transformers burned up on the first day has me a bit worried especially with the second being of ample size.

Anyone else have this issue? Something similar. I searched but couldn’t find anything related.

1 Like

Hi @Stoy75. You may want to consult a licensed electrician to ensure that the Doorbell is safely installed. You can find installation instructions for the Doorbell Wired here, which I’d suggest showing to the electrician as well. Additionally, you can contact our support team at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

No need for an electrician. Turns out it was a defective wired 2021 release doorbell. Amazon replacement works perfectly and isn’t turning transformers into burnt toast.

If you’re smoking transformers chances are you have a defective doorbell too.

1 Like

So with your new doorbell did it work right out of the box or did u have to change the transformer also? Mine was smoking (smelling not actual smoke) and they’re sending me a new doorbell I’m hoping it didn’t fry the transformer