Ring Doorbell Pro video quality fluctuating wildly.

I got a ring pro last week and I’ve had nonstop problems with video quality since day one. Video goes from 1080 to barely legible, live will be bad but recordings will be fine, and sometimes both will be bad. Here is a day by day walk through of everything I’ve done so far.

Day 1: Tested my internet speeds on one site (130 download/13 upload average), signal strength holding at -48, voltage holding steady at 4002. Unplugged my router multiple times, the quality finally improved, but only for a few minutes. It started getting worse only over live, and then both live and recorded.

Day 3: Checked to make sure ring was on 2.4Ghz (it was), checked speeds, latency, jitter, etc. on 8 different sites. The average for everything was as follows:

D/l: 271.5mbps
U/l: 12mbps
Latency: 31ms
Jitter: 8.5ms
Ping: 6ms
RSSI hovered between -40 and -45, so it got better. Voltage held steady at 4033.

The video held steady in quality for the last two days but today had the same issues on day 3.

Day 5 (today) I got to checking and the Ring was on the 5Ghz network today but the quality was fine. RSSI was around -43. I disabled 5ghz just to see how things looked on the 2.4Ghz network and the quality instantly got worse and my RSSI shot up to -54. Enabled 5Ghz again and none of the devices that were previously connected to it would reconnect and are just sitting on the 2.4Ghz. Restarted my router, Ring reconnected to the 5Ghz and now the quality is horrible with an RSSI of -58. It has never been this high before. The ring and my phone are also the only devices that reconnected to the 5Ghz network, everything else is still sitting on 2.4.

Took the face plate off, reconnected to WiFi that way and video quality was the best it’s ever been for 30 minutes or so and immediately went back to fuzzy/grainy. Recordings are fine. Voltage is 4017. RSSI is -47.

I honestly have no clue what’s happening at this point. Video quality seems to go in and out no matter what I do and at what seems like random. Could I just maybe have a bad product?

Edit: one thing I forgot to include is that I’m using a 16v 10vac transformer. I have looked into getting a stronger one, but the way the builder installed it in our home it’s part of the housing base for the light in our mechanical room and that’s way more electrical work than I care to navigate.

Hi @rbwalton86. Thanks for sharing details on what you’ve looked at so far. Since you have run through some basic troubleshooting steps in order to try and diagnose the problem, I would recommend you follow up with our support team directly to get this sorted out. They’ll be able to take a look at your device and account and go over everything that could be causing this in order to narrow it down. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. They’ll be able to look at this more closely in order to find a resolution. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile: