Ring Doorbell Pro and Nutone LA600WH

My existing doorbell is a Nutone LA600WH which is on the compatible list of working doorbells. My friend gave me his Ring Doorbell Pro as he had to remove it from his old house before moving, and his new house already had a Ring Doorbell Pro installed aleady. It was working just fine at his house. When I connect it to the Nutone chime,I get nothing, The Ring light seems to start out glowing initially but it eventually goes out and I get nothing from it.

I checked my doorbell transformer (which was only 16V), but I recently upgraded it to a 24V transformer but the results are the same. I’ve had the Ring Doorbell plugged into a USB port in my computer (in hopes it charges the capacitor). I am going to replacing the old wiring and try it in a few days. If this doesn’t work after that I will update it further, but I had some questions on how to install it.

Reading the Nutone installation manual, it says that a diode needs to be placed on the terminals at the button itself with the silver stripe on the transformer. This works fine without the Ring Doorbell, but I don’t know if it needs to be installed on it when using the Ring. Someone posted in the forum on using this same setup, but thechime wasn’t playing the whole ringtone. I suggested the diode and he said it didn’t need it on the Ring setup. I also tried contacting Nutone about it, and they said to contact Ring to ask them since they are the ones who listed it as compatible. I have tried to contact Ring, but I haven’t been able to yet. Has anyone had any success in installing the Ring Doorbell Pro with this particular model and had it work without any issues?

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, @BlueSkyGeek! The LA600WH looks to be on our compatible digital chime kit list, as you stated. While our other Video Doorbell models might require a diode with a digital chime kit, the Video Doorbell Pro does not. Instead, please make sure to install the Pro Power Kit.

You mentioned getting this device from a friend so if you are needing any hardware or parts, like the Pro Power Kit, check out our spare parts kit!

Once the Video Doorbell Pro is connected, without a diode, you should have chime functionality. I recommend also checking the device settings for your Doorbell Pro in the Ring app, as there is an option to select Chime Type. This will allow you to choose “digital” as the Chime Type for proper integration. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the help. I did a test by taking the down the chime and transformer and set it on the workbench. I’ve got it working now, but is there a way to make the chime last longer than 10 seconds? I edited my file but it is just a couple seconds too long and cuts it off. On the app, I see the longest time is 10 seconds. It would be helpful if it were up to 15 seconds.

Hi @BlueSkyGeek. Chiming in for Marley! There is not a way to edit the length of your chime to be longer than 10 seconds. If this is something you’d like to see in the future, head over to our Feature Request Board to see if other neighbors want this too!

1 Like

@BlueSkyGeek How were you able to get this working? I’m using a Ring Doorbell Pro with the same NuTone LA600WH along with a 16V adapter but the digital chime does not work. Can you provide any hints, tips or guide?

Hi @DarrenG. Try checking out this Community Article here for help with your Ring Pro!

1 Like

Adding in answer here as I had this setup (specifically Pro 2 and Nutone LA600WH)

Observations:
While the Ring Pro does not need the Diode, the Nutone does.

Editing this, as it seems original approach caused my transformer to burn out. Not confirmed - could be coincidental, but how often does a door bell transformer fail?

Approach that I think burned out transformer:

1. Wire the doorbell per Ring instructions
  2. Add the Power pack across Nutone terminals per Ring instructions
  3. Add diode across doorbell terminals per Nutone instructions
  4. If the doorbell keeps playing, the diode is wired the wrong way around, and should be swapped.

So I suspect that the diode along with the power-pack caused too much load… maybe a better transformer?

Well, I went with a completely different approach. The Nutone supports two doorbells - “Front” and “Rear.” With my home set up, the transformer is wired to the Nutone location, and then a new wire goes from Nutone to Ring button.

Let’s call the wires from the transformer T1 and T2. The wires to the Ring button F1 and F2. T1 goes to the center Nutone T terminal. T2 is wired to F1. F2 goes to the F terminal. With me so far?

Now connect the diode between T2 and R terminal (Rear doorbell). This may require extra bell wire. The silver band is wired to T2.

In essence, you are wiring up a rear doorbell, but without the actual doorbell button. In a two doorbell setup, with Ring at Front and a regular doorbell at Rear you would have:

• T1 wired to center T terminal
  • T2 wired to F1 and R1 (common)
  • F2 wired to F terminal
  • R2 wired to R terminal
  • Ring power block wired between T and F
  • Diode wired between R1 and R2, or between T2 and R terminal

Nutone works with diode on either F or R terminal - otherwise I would have wired Ring to R terminal

Configure Ring to believe it is working with a Mechanical doorbell in Settings. The Nutone will do the right thing and will continue to play the chime as it is receiving power via the diode. As a bonus, the chime plays immediately instead of the previous 1-2 second delay.

1 Like

I am trying to install the Ring Video Pro 2 based on the above instructions. However, I can not get the Pro 2 to work with the LA600WH. I can get the Pro2 to work with ANOTHER doorbell chime, buy my wife likes the sound of the LA600WH. A couple of questions:

1.) The reference to “Ring Power Block” above is that the same as the “Ring Power Adapter Kit”?

2.) The LA600WH has “Screwless” wiring connectors and I can NOT get both the terminal & the ring power adapter wires to lock into the Screwless connectors. Any suggestions? I’ve tried several scenarios, but can never get the LA600WH to work. It seems when I try to twist a couple of wires to insert into the screwless connectors, they just will not work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

I have a Nutone chime, model LA600WH. I can’t find any diagrams showing how to connect the pro power kit v3. Can anyone point me to directions on how to do this, please?

I found the instructions a little confusing and could see how someone might hook up the power kit in parallel to load (across the load) instead of in series with the load (inline with) on my set up and don’t know if instructions improved. I’d check the transformer and make sure have 16 volts to 24 volts and is I believe rated 25VA plus (transformers are rated in Volt Amperes not Watts). If 20volts plus your original door bell is going to eventually if not immediately pack it in and allow its smoke out. If 16 volts you might have signal issues with Wifi unless a smaller house well insulated and perhaps not in Canada as we seem to sell only 20v transformers at HD for door bells now a days because that what video door bells really need according to associate employee I talked to. I would try wiring the Ring directly through so old bell is bypassed. If the old doorbell pooched you might want to just use the Ring Chimes as what is best for door bell isn’t what is best for Ring

Below is the wiring for the Ring 2 Pro - it shows both the front and rear doorbells. I used it for installing only the front door and it worked, but NOT with the Nutone LA600WH.

I have STILL problems getting it to work with the LA600WH.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.