Ring Doorbell no longer displays LIVE view

I’m another person (doorbell 3 plus) with live view not working reliably. It usually takes 3 - 5 attempts connecting to live view before it works. Not impressed given the cost (and the older lower cost doorbells are fine after speaking to a few people who own them). I’ve only had it about a week. I called technical services yesterday to a) resolve motion detection not always working and b) intermittent live view. The solution (still to fully test) for a) was to change motion detection frequency from the default ‘regularly’ to ‘frequently’. Not sure why that is needed? Anyway whilst on the phone after the motion detection settings were changed and tested whilst I was on the phone, the live view worked. But this morning it’s as it usually is. I’m pretty certain the current firmware is putting it into a sleep mode to preserve power.
First impressions, I’m really not impressed given the reputation of Ring and also the cost and I am seriously thinking of getting my money back and changing to a different brand.
Does anyone have any experience of the Eufy 2k battery powered doorbell?

1 Like

I am so fed up with the Ring doorbell not connecting to the video! I have done everything suggested on their website. I’m taking it off and buying a Wyze video doorbell. It is new and shipping this month. I have had no problems with my Wyze cameras connecting. It is very inexpensive and low monthly fee. I HATE MY RING DOORBELL!

1 Like

Hello,

Today reading this topic, I performed the procedure to restore my Ring Doorbell 2nd generation factory defaults to see why Live View doesn’t work. Initially, I was just testing with the android app on my Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G. Already with the application for the Windows 10 Pro system that I had never tested, I found that Live View works perfectly without crashing. I would like to inform you that I have a network with 3 Mesh TP-Link Deco M5 routers in my apartment and my signal level is excellent (RSSI -20). I also emphasize that the doorbell firmware is up to date. I couldn’t see any reasons why it wouldn’t work. With this I come to the conclusion that the problem is in the android application and not in my network. I haven’t been able to access Live View for more than 1 month, the same period that I bought the doorbell.

1 Like

I had the same problem with three cameras getting “Live view is not available in this mode”. I read through this topic and decided to reboot my phone before going through all that. It worked. I did not try to access it from the web on my PC until after I rebooted my phone. PC access does work, but I don’t know if there was any problem with that before the phone reboot. I’m going to guess PC access was not a problem because I was still getting motion notifications to my phone - so the cameras did still have internet connectivity. I hope the fix is as simple as this for others.

Well I decided enough is enough with the ring 3 plus and have returned it for a refund. I doubt it’s a hardware issue, but more of a firmware issue (with the device going to sleep and taking too long to wake up and no idea of /when a firmware update wi be issued to correct it). And I have bought the eufy 2k. So far I’m happy with it. The live view connects first time every time. And I have motion detection /door bell recordings stored on the box inside the house so I don’t have to pay a subscription to access the history.
Only possible gripe is that it takes a few seconds to respond to a doorbell press. But I think that is the same for all video doorbells. Either way I don’t regret switching.

3 Likes

I got a replacement for my Spotlight Cam from Ring re. this live view issue, but low and behold, I am suffering the exact same issue with the new cam. Same story, good speed at camera, good rssi (41) etc, etc.

So I still have the same issues, and, like others have mentioned, this only started happening the past month or so. Before that, rock solid for almost 3 years.

So ultimately I’ve sent back a perfectly good camera and didn’t need this replacement (and the nightmare of replacing it up a ladder and re-setting up my Smartthings automations etc).

It would be great if someone from Ring would start taking this seriously and look deeper into this issue. Thanks

4 Likes

Strangely, Live View does not work on my Android phone or my wife’s iPhone. However, it does work on the Windows Ring app on my Win 10 PC (albeit, it takes its time to show any video). So that does point to app issues …

1 Like

I solved this problem by selecting the device, then going into device settings, then to video settings, and turning off “live video” for a few minutes, then turning it back on.

Still not working after 3 hours on phone with advanced Ring tech.

2 Likes

It worked yesterday for the first day in months and I thought OK fixed…not so, today it’s back to not working. Door bell and motion work fine, everything works except I can’t open live view. It spins blue until it times out. Then I saw in Device Health their was a system wide issue with live view March, 11, 2021 they say they fixed. Is that why it worked yesterday? They were fixing it? Well the fix didn’t last if that was it, not working again. No idea where to go from here. Tried every troubleshooting Ring had to offer, had my internet provider Comcast out to see if it’s on their end, live with it until I can replace it with another brand is the only option left as far as I can see.

1 Like

I realize this is days after this entry, yet I am experiencing the same issue with my wired Ring Doorbell Pro. I even extended the Wi-Fi signal, which is excellent as is my RSSI. I had Live View for a few days After installing the Wi-Fi extender, but now I cannot even see events in my history. I do, however, get the snapshots, but no history images or video can be accessed any longer. I have followed every step outlined in troubleshooting multiple times including resetting the device; removing the app and resetting my phone before reinstalling the app; and searching all over the web for solutions. I am afraid I have a very expensive doorbell but nothing else. Like many others, I am wondering why I invested hundreds of dollars in this device.

1 Like

Ok, this is a joke now, like a lot of you I have tried every trick in the book (reset, turned different settings on and off, bought WiFi extenders) are Ring genuinely aware of this issue? it looks like it has been going on for years, the whole reason for buying the Ring was so that I can advise delivery drivers etc when im not in and its pretty much useless now!!!

2 Likes

My bandaid fix was to uninstall 3.37 (android) then install the previous version. What’s weird is that I have 3.37 installed on my Fire HD8 and that works flawlessly. Note, the device I’m having an issue with is a oneplus 8 running A11. My wife also on a oneplus but the 6t is also having the issue. She’s running A10.

Workaround Fix… install the Rapid Ring app for use with doorbell and cameras. Ring knows their app is the problem.
Same problem here. I’ve spent HOURS with tech support following the same steps of resetting my Ring WiFi, resetting my router, uninstalling my Ring app, and they even sent me a replacement doorbell that had the same problem after setup. Neither my or my wife’s phone will connect via Live View. The advanced tech support rep finally admitted their app is the problem. He had me download the Rapid Ring app and it works! Now I have to use two apps to have the same features I had before, but at least it works.

2 Likes

Live ring view does not work. I installed Ring Rapid apk and it works there. I consider it a bug due to the incompetence of the manufacturer at the launch of the last update.I have to buy another bell from another manufacturer. I sent an email to the Ring and they didn’t even reply. Paid subscription, missing services. That’s what I call disrespect for customers.

3 Likes

Same problem. What happens Ring team? Do you gone fix, or we need to change from Ring?

1 Like

Excellent!!! It works!!!. Ring team, replace the View on the Ring app, with the Rapid Ring view app!!!

It’s an app issue for sure and seems to have shown up at least for me on iOS over the last month. I installed the new Ring Pro 2 the other day and noticed it more as I have been messing about with settings etc. Basically about half the time no live view, says couldn’t connect and to try again. Also the snapshot preview on the dashboard isn’t updating. I also have good WiFi signal and no issues with notifications or viewing live view via my Fire TV which makes me suspect even more that it’s the Ring App.

1 Like

New customer here with two stickup cams. I have been having the same issues with live view since purchase 30 days ago. Everyday one or both cams no longer has live view yet motion detection and cloud uploads are functioning.
This tells me it’s not a “weak network signal” and it simply a device or software code problem. I use both the Windows 10 Ring App and the Android Ring App. Both apps stop being able to receive live feeds at random points everyday.
I use an Orbi Mesh network that has 37 other wireless devices online at any given time and NONE of them are offline when the Ring Live View stops functioning.
After reading through nearly all of the months of post here this sounds like a Ring problem to be solved not a user level issue.
I will try the Rapid Ring app to see if that works as a workaround to Ring’s obviously faulty apps.

1 Like

Same issue here. This is 100% a Ring issue. My wifi and power are strong and 100% . Please fix soon. There are enough reported security concerns with Ring to justify switching and this may be the tipping point. I would expect Ring to be responding promptly to this thread.

2 Likes