Ring doorbell is hardwired but says status power connected

My ring doorbell is hard wired and was showing hardwired connected in the app under devise health. Now it says Solar Status connected. I dont have a solar charger. I disconected the hardwire and it’s still showing as Solar Status connected. The battery level shows 72% . I didnt change anything. Any suggestions on what I can do to make the device know it is hardwired? I have a ring 3 and the firmware says “Up to date”.

Hi @vitoman. Is your Doorbell still receiving a trickle charge from being wired into your existing doorbell circuit? I’d suggest doing a quick reset on the Doorbell by holding down the setup button for at least 20 seconds. After the reset is done, walk your Doorbell through a new setup in the Ring App using the steps under Set Up a Device. Trigger a test event such as a motion or a ding and see what the power status is registering as.

Well its back to the battery issues again. Here is what I have for troubleshooting.
this the 2 Winter what a Door Bell, The 1st Winter I notice that the battery was charging
but it was always at 50%, and not working very well. I brought it inside to office and charged
to 100% and replace it. This to two different transformers one from Amazon that said its a Ring replacement. It Failed , I bought the 2nd transformer and here is where I thought I had it fixed.
WRONG All though the summer the battery keep a charge from 85 to 100%. Along comes the 2nd
winter and it is back on the charger 2 or 3 times a month.

Thanks for reading this.
If I do not get a solution, I guess its time to use it for a target.
Thanks onthrun

Hi @ontherun. Extremely cold weather has unfortunate effects on lithium-ion batteries such as those used in Ring devices. As the temperature drops, these batteries begin to have trouble holding a charge and if it gets cold enough, they’ll stop working altogether. As a result, at certain temperatures, the batteries in your Ring device may run out of power faster than expected and may need to be recharged more often. This is likely why you’re noticing that you have to charge the battery more often than you did during summer. You can read more about how cold weather affects the batteries in Ring Doorbells here. I hope this information helps. :slight_smile:

Thanks Caitlyn,

But it would seem to me that if its hardwired it should not mater if the battery goes low or not. The transformer should power the Ring Door Bell, with that being said is there away to run hardwired and remove or ignore the battery?

Thanks

@ontherun The Doorbell is battery-powered, and the wiring from your existing doorbell system provides a trickle charge to the battery rather than fully power the Doorbell as there is not enough power within a doorbell circuit to do so. You need the battery charged and installed in the Doorbell to use it, and the hardwire provides a trickle charge each day but the battery can still discharge faster than it is charging - especially in cold weather.

Well what good is that … you said that its affected by COLD weather and may even fail if it was in a cold area for many days . Here in MI we have cold weather 35 to 23 degrees and colder.
I did not hear anyone say that Ring does not work well in cold weather. But U did. Seems to me that would be selling faulty equipment.

2 Likes

Seriously? This is truly annoying. I love in Alaska and that means MONTHS of my BRAND NEW Ring not working!!! The company should really let this issue be known before we slap down hard earned money!

1 Like

Is this response (gee folks…batteries struggle in the cold) for real? Okay Ring…if your batteries struggle in the cold, and this is a known issue and everyone experiences it…then maybe you can explain to me how my hardwired Ring 2 doorbell has survived not one, not two, but THREE Minnesota winters without failing…until yesterday when the temp was 3 degrees. Now maybe you’re not familiar with Minnesota…but I assure you it gets very cold here very often. MUCH colder than 3 degrees Fahrenheit. In fact we routinely have stretches of DAYS where the temp never gets above zero. Last month it got down to 19 below zero…and my doorbell worked just fine. Until yesterday my doorbell never failed to trickle charge and my battery never shut down. Sooo…any actual thoughts on this? Or will you just once again copy and paste from your boilerplate FAQs?