Ring Doorbell connects to WiFi, but says it's offline

I have tried to set up my Ring Doorbell, and every time I connect it to my WiFi it says setup successful, but it says its offline and won’t capture video at all. I also have a spotlight with no can that works just fine with he WiFi and my ring bridge. I have tried resetting the router multiple times, connecting it to my Hotspot, which works but works terribly. If someone could help I’d greatly appreciate it.

Hi @Chenry. What kind of wifi network do you have, is it a 2.4GHz or a 5.0GHz network? Also, which model of Ring Doorbell do you have? You can find this information on the original packaging, the back of the Doorbell itself, as well as on the Device Health page in the Ring App.

I believe it is a 5.0GHz and I have the Video Doorbell (2020 Release)

@Chenry Thanks for that information. If possible, I’d recommend using a 2.4GHz wifi network as this has a better range than 5.0GHz and still provides sufficient speeds for your Ring Doorbell. This should provide a more stable connection with the wifi. If you try a 2.4GHz network and it still shows offline, try resetting the Doorbell completely by holding down the setup button for at least 20 seconds. Once the reset is done, walk the Doorbell through a fresh setup in the Ring App using the steps under Set Up a Device. Sometimes a fresh setup can make sure everything is up and running properly.

@Chenry As mentioned change to 2.4ghz. No reason to ever use 5ghz on Ring products, it just doesn’t have the wall penetration and the devices don’t need a huge amount of bandwidth to work anyway.

1 Like

I am having similar issues.

From my router, I can see the Ring Doorbell Pro is connected and I can ping it. But it keeps showing offline.

Interestingly, it can continue detect motion and once it detects motion it reports itself online again. But it then goes back offline in a few minutes.

Same issue too, with Doorbell Pro 2. It says that it’s “offline” and Live View doesn’t work. But it’ll detect motion, record normally, show that it’s online (and Live View will work), but then go offline a few minutes later. I noticed this in the past day or two.

I’m having the same problem on multiple devices and networks. Right now it’s three Floodlight Cams that show offline, but are connected to my routers with a strong signal. I had some transient Doorbell Pros go offline as well. All continue to send video clips and detect motion. I can access each device and get a live view to adjust motion zones, but the main access pages shows offline.

This is an issue with Ring. This has been happening to all of our cameras and our doorbell on and off for the past week. We can get some to work, even though they say offline, by using motion. Some we can’t get to reconnect unless we do a hard reset on them. Getting old because we have to use a ladder on 6 of the cameras each time we do a hard reset to reconnect them to wifi. The doorbell recently started doing this but motion reconnects it to wifi. Two of the cameras are connected to a Chime Pro and the others are connected to my router’s wifi.

Ring needs to figure out what’s broken and fix this because I dislike having to pull out the ladder for 6 cameras every 6 hours.

1 Like

I am having the same issue with both my Ring Pro doorbell (wired) and Floodlight Cam Pro (wired). These have been working fine until a few days ago, and now go offline when there is no activity. They come back online when detecting movement or the doorbell is rung, but then go offline again so you cannot access the live view or change settings. This looks to be a software update to save on power, but as these are all wired devices, battery power is not an issue. Glad I am not alone with this - Ring needs to change this at least for the wired devices, or provide a setting to keep them active.
Has anyone tried to contact ring directly on this - chat is down.

I contacted ring and logged the problem. I was notified that a new firmware update had been pushed out. Now my devices are staying connected

I’ve logged on to WI-FI with Ring 3. All shows connected. Doesn’t display video or recognize doorbell on my cell phone. Shows ring contact sensor offline.
Ring support is non-existent. Supposed to support 5G

Hi there, neighbors! We had our team look into this matter and any concerns related to a device showing offline when it is not, should be resolved. Please press the setup button on your Ring device to enter setup mode, then press it again to exit setup mode. This will allow it to reconnect and establish the connected status in your Ring app as intended, if it is not already. Alternatively, you can also follow the steps in this Help Center article to reconnect your Ring devices. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am having this same issue. I’ve done complete reset of my Ring doorbells. Voice prompts and Ring app both indicate doorbells have reconnected successfully. I can see these devices are connected to my router. But when I close and reopen my Ring app, it continues to indicate the doorbells are offline. Please advise.

Hi @hahnsburg106. If the suggestions here in the Community haven’t been able to help, I’d suggest reaching out to our support team. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

Hello all, I just solved the issue.
Go to your router and set the Firewall to “TYPICAL SECURITY”.
It worked for me.
Let me know

1 Like