Ring Doorbell 3 Not Recording Sound

My Ring Doorbell 3 does not record sound. If there is motion detected, it will record about 2 seconds of the sound and turn silent. I’ve tried resetting multiple times! Why am I paying for the best plan for it to NOT work!? Help!! Customer support won’t even call back!! The chat apparently does not work for troubleshooting!

Hi @bmfs916. My apologises that chat is not able to troubleshoot this concern at this time, but this would need to be a call into our support team directly. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Feel free to come back and share how this goes, as your answer may help other neighbors! :slight_smile:

Did you ever find out why this was happening? I’ve had my ring for 2 days and it’s been fine until today, day 2, I’m getting exactly the same that happened to you.

I’m having the exact same issue. I installed the Ring 3 about a week ago, and it was recording audio with events just fine until a few days ago. It records 2 seconds of audio and then nothing but video.

Hi @melo_sm! Audio connection concerns are often related to wifi, mobile device, or Ring app communication variables. The best first thing to check is your wifi signal strength, or RSSI, which can be found in the Device Health section of your Ring app. Check out our Community post about RSSI for tips on optimizing this signal strength.

Removing and reinstalling the Ring app is a quick way to ensure it is up to date and optimally integrated with your mobile device. On your mobile device, try testing audio on wifi only, and then on data only, to see if either connection is more efficient. Please also ensure bluetooth and VPN is disabled. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Hi @Marley_Ring my RSSI is 56, power status is ‘very good’ and my app is up to date. I’m not using a VPN but I’m not going to disable my bluetooth on my phone. So if that’s the solution, your developers need to come up with a better fix than making its users turn off their bluetooth. Considering that it was working just fine a week ago when I installed the device, and I had my bluetooth on at the time, I doubt that this is a user error. Fix your bugs.

Also - I just used the wifi test that is built into the Ring app, and my download speed is 38mbps and upload is 67mpbs. so that isn’t a problem either. I’m using the 2.4ghz band, not the 5ghz, as recommended in the installation documentation.

Thank you for the update, @melo_sm! It looks like you’ve covered all the best steps related to connection variables. Please try resetting your Video Doorbell. This can be done by holding the setup button for 20 seconds. If this concern persists after resetting the device, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I’m having the same issue, called support, which was a huge waste of time. The person in support was having me check the microphone on my phone, and all of these other things that quite obviously have no bearing on whether the DOORBELL is recording audio…very frustrating when we’re told to contact support, but support is clueless as to simple cause and effect troubleshooting measures.

1 Like

Hi Neighbors. If you are having Audio Issues with your Ring Doorbell, this Help Center article here has some great tips and tricks for troubleshooting this concern. Also, make sure that you don’t have Audio Recording and Streaming disabled, as mentioned in this Help Center article here. I hope this information helps!