Ring doorbell 3 keeps shutting down unexpectedly

My 2 year old doorbell has started going offline and it becomes unresponsive when pressing the main button. It’s like it has shutdown. If I remove the battery and put it right back in, it reboots and connects just fine. I have multiple batteries and it shuts down with all of them so the battery isn’t the problem. This last incident happened with a 95% charged battery. My router is just a few feet away, the RSSI is -35, so I have a good connection. I have an indoor cam on the same network that works flawlessly. They each have their own dedicated IP addresses. I’ve hard reset it by pressing the orange button and began the setup process from scratch. The firmware is up to date and health says clean bill of health. It’s a hassle because if I’m away from home or out of town, I’m without a cam until I get back home to reboot it. Help.

1 Like

Hi @user13074. Do you have this Doorbell 3 connected to a 2.4GHz or 5.0GHz network? Do you know if your router automatically switches devices between the 2 WiFi bands? If it does, try disabling that feature and seeing if it improves the connectivity. Also, try connecting the Doorbell to a 2.4GHz network to see if that also helps. Let me know how this works for you!

Hi ,
I’ve just read your post and it is virtually exactly the same problem i am having, my doorbell is also 2 years old, I have bought a new battery even though my phone was telling me the one inserted had 96% charge,my wifi is exactly the same as it was when i installed the door bell so i can’t see why it would effect it now, but I cannot get it to stay connected for more than a hour or so? if you did find a solution i would really appreciate any tips you could give me?
Thanks in advance

Hi @user16527. What is the RSSI for the device? This can be found in the Device Health section of the Ring app. Try performing a reset on the device by pressing and holding the setup button for 20 seconds, then releasing and reconnecting to WiFi. Let me know if this helps!

I am experiencing the same situation described above. Our Video Doorbell 3 is about 2 years old and keeps turning itself off despite a full battery and a wired connection to a Ring adapter. I did a hard reset and reconfigured the doorbell. Yesterday it failed again after a week. Read here and there that this doorbell would have trouble with a network that uses both 2.4 and 5 GHz. Yesterday I created an additional 2.4 GHz SSID exclusively for the Ring on our access point from Meraki. I hope this solves the problem, does anyone have any other tips?

I’m so glad it’s not just me. My ring 2nd gen is also 2 years old. And as of a week ago worked fine. Battery isn’t an issue as 96% charged and charged again yesterday and full blue circle. I’ve learnt what the issue is just don’t know why it’s starting now. So my ring bell kept saying not connected to the WiFi. Never been an issue before and everything else connected is fine. What’s happening is it’s shutting down totally. So I’ve taken it off again now and am sitting with it on my tbale next to my router. The ring doorbell has no power its shut right down. When I connect it to the charger it takes a minute or so to become responsive. Then when it begins charging it’s full. It’s like it just completely shuts down and is knackered. Even holding the reset button for 29 seconds does nothing. It’s like after a few hours back outside it shuts down and needs plugging in to jolt it back to life. I get it’s colder now but we had colder temps in February with snow and never had an issue. I genuinely think it’s knackered. So 2 years and now I need to buy a new one? Is this how it goes every 2 years to replace the doorbell. I have 4 blink cameras and other devices and absolutely no issue. Literally just my doorbell that started recently.

Hi neighbors. If your Ring Doorbell is disconnecting from the wifi, please check the following:

• Ensure your Doorbell has sufficient power, whether it is hardwired or battery powered. Insufficient power can cause the Doorbell to disconnect from the wifi network.
  • Review the signal strength in the Ring app. A weak or unstable signal will impact the Doorbell’s connectivity.

Lastly, keep in mind that battery powered devices may be negatively impacted by very cold weather. During cold weather, lithium-ion batteries may struggle to hold a charge, or may run out of power more quickly. You can learn more here. If this issue persists, please follow up with our support team for further troubleshooting assistance.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.