Ring Doorbell (2nd Gen) Live View/Recording not working

Struggling to get through to the customer support number so am resorting to the community

My Ring Doorbell (2nd gen) that I’ve had for one and a half years has since the 20th March has stopped recording videos and you cannot use live view. It is still accessible via the app and you can press the doorbell button which will still send a notification (missing a video though)

I’ve tried the following to troubleshoot and the following link as well:

Moved the doorbell right next to the router. It can do health checks and signal strength is all green, not to mention my down speed is 60Mbps which is well beyond the Ring recommended 2Mbps.
Changed to another wifi network and to a chime pro (that other ring devices can successfully connect and output live view). I’ve also gone back to the original wifi network (and also restarted router as an extra measure)
Factory reset the device by holding down the orange button and entering set up mode to add the doorbell
Tried seeing if I can use live view with the Rapid Ring app and directly on Ring’s web site which both had the same issue. I’ve also tried using the ring app on another mobile device in case it was my phone that was the issue.

I can see on this community that in the last few days others have issues with live view without resolution but there’s nothing on the Ring system status since a couple of weeks ago. Is there a wider fault with live view for certain doorbells? If not what are my options?

1 Like

I am having the same issue. I can get live view occasionally and while restarting the router or my phone or actually removing the door bell and resetting it seems to help, these actions don’t consistently fix the problem. Whenever I am having a problem seeing live view I check the app for issues and everything says good connection.

My ring rarely works live. Constantly saying loading . . . with the circle of death and it NEVER connects and I have two, one for each door. What’s the point of having rings if you cannot watch your home while you are at work? I have contacted customer service numerous times. Very unhappy with Ring.

Hi neighbors! I recommend running through the troubleshooting steps in the Help Center Article that @side mentioned in the original post, as the root cause for Live View concerns can vary based on each neighbor’s individual situation. We also have some Live View troubleshooting information in our Community Post here, and it’s also a good idea to check the RSSI whenever you notice the Live View not working.

If the concern with Live View still persists after going through these resources, please follow up with our support team for a more in-depth look. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here so review your account details with you while troubleshooting this concern. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

This was really bugging me and I finally got mine to work. I basically had to reboot my router, even though the connection was fine, and then reset the Ring, and then reconnect it to the network. I am now able to see Live View as well as the History videos. For some reason all the ones between yesterday and this afternoon do not open, it says video unavailable but anything after the reset I am able to open.

1 Like

Hi @user7852. Thanks for sharing what worked for you to resolve this concern! It’s possible that rebooting the router helped ensure the connection to your Doorbell was running smoothly. Sometimes I have to reboot my router when I notice some of my devices on my wifi aren’t working as quickly as they usually are. :slight_smile: