Ring Doorbell 2 suddenly has phantom motion alerts

Same thing. Mine is battery powered and comes in mysteriously every hour on the ‘29’ minute of the hour between 2 am and 6:29 am or so.

Still waiting for Ring to act like they give AF and release an update. I have logged out of the app on my phone, sick of hearing that BS chime that is a false positive.

no it has not gotten fixed! Mine goes off every hour on the 29th minute.

I’ve been having similar issues with my Ring Battery Spotlight. Every 30 mins I get a recording showing no activity. I decided to let it continue until both batteries were exhausted and see if it rectifies itself but got an email yesterday from Ring saying “We’ve noticed that your Spotlight Battery may be having issues with motion detection, so we’d like to send you a free replacement.”

I’ve filled out their form and fingers crossed a new one is on it’s way. This means there must be an issue that they’re aware of?

Update: after working as designed for weeks without issue (after weeks of phantom “motions”), I’ve now had 6 phantom motions in the last 3 hours. Ring must have pushed out another bad firmware update. Ring: are you paying attention? Your programmers are clearly incompetent regarding they’re version control system and or they’re understanding of how they’re breaking these doorbells. I’ve got an idea: why not allow us to update the firmware ourselves with full ability to rollback. It’s outrageous that this keeps happening!

It’s now going off ever 5 minutes! Attention Ring: I will personally keep this thread going until you address this and fix it for good. Totally unacceptable!

I have been having this issue for over a month now! very frustrating! Things seem to get better for a few days, then back to annoying constant false notifications. RING needs to fix this ASAP.

My Ring Doorbell 2 is sending phantom motion alerts every 5-10 minutes for the last 3-4 weeks. I did not have this issue for a full year prior. The battery is draining fast. Any ideas how to fix?

This issue started a few weeks ago for me. Ring2 getting phamtom motion alerts every 5 to 10 minutes day or night. Is there a firmware fix comming for this?

Don’t worry, Ring thinks we just don’t know how their products work. I guess we all just got lucky and have had no issues for 3-4yrs but suddenly forgot. smh!

I have been logged out of the POS for a month now and until someone posts that a SW fix has been released they are nuts if they think I will renewmy subscription in March.

Add us to the list…Our Ring Doorbell 2 which has been installed for about 2 months and working great all of a sudden started throwing bogus alerts multiple times per hour for the past two days. Typically we would get 4-5 alerts per day for kids in the yard, etc…all generally valid stuff. Now we are getting phantom alerts all day long, even more at night. Nothing has changed in the environment. Its very clearly a software problem. C’mon Ring…you know you screwed up, lets fix this.

We have been getting false motion alerts every hour on the hour on the 28th minute of each hour

I have called Ring twice today and after telling them my issue I have misteriously been disconnected. Not happy about that.

After reading comments I know we are not alone in this.

Please when someone finds the fix please post it.

Thanks

1 Like

So we have had this happen twice now in the past 3 weeks. Both times the issue continued for over 24 hrs before I got frustrated and silenced the alerts. I also went as far as pulling the battery and unwiring it from the hardwired doorbell connection and then doing a full reset of the device. Still no luck, false motion alerts just started showing up randomly again within an hour. Then I decided to just reset the wifi router, figuring maybe if I killed signal to the doorbell that would help give it a “kick in the pants” and maybe it would fix itself. Lo and behold that did the trick, both times. Not sure what the heck could be causing the issue but a simple power cycle of the wifi router (Netgear AC1750 R6400) stopped the false alerts and returned the doorbell motion detection to normal operation.

I’m also ready to pack it up and send it back. This is not what I signed up for. Needs addressed NOW.

1 Like

Ugh…! add us to the list.

After A LOT of pain and trials and tribulations when it was installed about 2 years ago, the video doorbell 2 was finally working acceptably. It still was getting set off by trucks and large vehicles and probably has only missed 1 delivery person in recent memory.

Seems highly conincidental. But after installing the last app update yesterday, the doorbell 2 started to alert inexplicably with no motion any where. Then it started alerting every minute. I spent all day trying to adjust the motion zones and frequency without any logical impact. Finally popped out the battery and put it back in; had to reduce the motion zone way back and reduce the frequency. Not happy about having to back off the motion settings so much. So, not sure how this will impact its effectiveness as a security camera.

So far still getting phantom alerts throughout the day, and now triggering sometimes on normal size cars (no where near the motion zone). But at least it’s not every minute… If this thing wakes me up again with phantom alerts…

One thing I noticed is that oftentimes performing an action on the app (e.g., changing alarm mode; doing a live view on another camera; going into the settings of the doorbell 2) seems to trigger a phantom doorbell 2 alert.

This thread is exactly what I have been fighting for, at least, two months. I slightly adjusted my motion settings to adjust for a new outdoor item in view of the camera. I went through setting up as I have done quite a few times over the last year (I have had my Ring Doorbell for a year or more). After the new settings took effect, I noticed that I was getting alerts many times an hour. The alerts are so prevalent that I turned off that feature on my system. I have had to charge the battery twice in the last few months because the alerts trigger the video capture MUCH more often. I have cleaned the doorbell (even though it is not exposed to sun, snow or rain) and reset most features to eliminate over zealous parameters. Before I wrote this note, I made the setting so that the area covered is about 6 foot from the doorbell (basically the depth of my porch) and have only one zone ON (the zone that is up against my outer garage wall). Let’s see if I still get alerts!!??? Can I assume that I had some new firmware downloaded to my doorbell late last year??

I too am having nothing but issues going off constantly. I have a Doorbell 2. It use to go off in the day every 5 minutes to every hour. Now it goes off in the evening and at night the same way, every 5 minutes to every hour. So now I have to keep my phone on vibrate so I can get some sleep or no sleep but be at ease that no one is in yard?!? Why do I have to choose? I’ve tried coving the sensor with 3m window tint to block sun flares, I’ve tried wedges in all 3 directions(down, left,right). I’m waiting for doorbell 3 to come out and see if it’s better. If not I’ll try pro and /or elite. There has to be an answer for everyone’s issues!

Same here. Ring stickup in an empty room suddenly starting to going off several times in a row, several times at night, less often during the day. For absolutely no reason. Nothing happens or moves in that room, no pets or animals either.

6 months old. Never done that before. Just started this week. Firmware 1.4.15.200

Hi neighbors! Thank you all for sharing your experiences in detail. For any concerns with sensitive motion, it’s always best to check the area for anything that might trigger motion. Depending on the model of device, movement as well as heat sources can set off detection. For adjustable motion using PIR, heat sources such as running vehicles, dryer/ heating vents, or even appliances that expel heat could set off motion.

In addition to checking the above factors, please also try different motion settings to see if you can further fine tune your detection. Rest assure we are sharing your feedback with the appropriate teams here. Feel free to reach out to our support team for more in-depth troubleshooting.

My brand new ring doorbell 2 has motion triggers every minute or 3. THe issue I noted is at the beginning of each video capture, the cameara is trying to adjust for light intensity.

I have tried all zone settings, and even with the porch light on, no light changes from any source, the unit is constantly indicating motion.

Daytime operation is no better. I have multiple videos that can demonstrate this manufacturing or software defect. I have my ring wired to my doorbell AC.

THe problem is getting progressively worse.

I would like this unit repaired or replaced as it is not performing as designed.