Ring Doorbell 2 hardwired and battery life draining

Ring doorbell 2 back & front door both hard wired … lasted almost 1 year to the date of the protection plan expiring… I was under the impression that if hardwired the batteries where a backup … Front door battery charged to Full overnight and is at 92% that’s less than the back door which I charged over a week ago … Now I have to pay $60 a year to use these and frankly I feel deceived… I’ve updated motion zones yet keep getting notices of motion and nothing is there. What could be wrong

Ring Doorbell 2 hardwire, worked fine before recent updates. Like the rest of you it now goes dead every other week.

I have also started experiencing battery draining problems with my hardwired Video Doorbell 2. I have had it for over an year and I used to have 50+ events everyday but the battery remained 100%, but after recent firmware updates few days ago, my battery drained to 32%. I updated my motion zones so I am now having only 5-6 events per day but the battery is still draining and it is down to 27% now. Surely the firmware update caused problems. Can I not revert the firmware to an older version?

Same issue for me. Worked fine for a year and all of the sudden stopped retaining a charge.

For all of these users to suddenly experience this issue, a recent change is a likely culprit. Hopefully someone from ring will provide an update.

What I want to know is why the battery is relevant at all. If it is continuously running through the hardwire from the doorbell circuit and can charge the battery off of this circuit then the battery should only act as a booster for power outages. Maybe used as a boost of power during the high frequency events but should definitely be able to be recharged overnight if you have zero motion events.
I love my doorbell but whomever designed this thing really dropped the ball. The same way that the ring chime has to be plugged into an outlet instead of run off of the same doorbell circuit.

Anyone has a solution?

Exact same problem I have.
Its a design flaw or maybe a programmed obsolescence by Ring! Imagine in 4,5 years when the battery has reached its end of life! Then the RingDoorbell would not work and would be another piece of useless electronic that we have to throw away cause most probably the cost of replacing the battery is more than buying a new!
By the way I tried all the solutions here, the battery lasts longer, but still drains out ( it reaches -20 C on some days here)

I should have gone with Google Nest!
I wont recommend Ring to anyone now.

Why doesn’t Ring disclose that hardwiring means “trickle charge” only. It’s very deceiving to sell item as the one to have option to be hardwired counting on customers to assume real meaning of the terminology which always means source of power is coming from the wires. On the other hand I guess Amazon doesn’t care as long as the item is sold. Or another of updates that forces you to buy new product since they just released fully wired doorbell

My Ring Doorbell 2 was stayed hardwired for a few years but in the last year, it’s been on and off – currently off. Doorbell works the same as it did when it was hardwired, just doesn’t automatically charge the battery, , so I have to go and charge the battery from time to time.

“Support” has been no support at getting this resolved. The last suggestion I got was buy a new doorbell and maybe because it’s newer/updated, that would work, but that sounds like BS to me. Any advice? Thanks.

I live in NJ and once it started getting cold outside I noticed that the battery on my Ring Video Doorbell 2 started to drain. It has been wired into the transformer for a few years and we never had this issue. I called support and they told me that the new firmware update stops the battery from charging when cold temperatures hit. Is this accurate ?

Hi there, @jrojas! As mentioned in our help center article, extremely cold weather has unfortunate effects on lithium-ion batteries such as those used in Ring devices. As the temperature drops, these batteries begin to have trouble holding a charge and if it gets cold enough, they’ll stop working altogether. As a result, at certain temperatures, the batteries in your Ring device may run out of power faster than expected and may need to be recharged more often. This is not a feature that is specific to Ring or related to any firmware, but rather just a side effect of cold weather for any lithium-ion battery. There are various solutions for this such as hardwiring your Doorbell for a trickle charge, or even looking into our wired devices.

Why doesn’t Ring disclose that hardwiring means “trickle charge” only. It’s very deceiving to sell item as the one to have option to be hardwired counting on customers to assume real meaning of the terminology which always means source of power is coming from the wires. On the other hand I guess Amazon doesn’t care as long as the item is sold. Or another way to push customers to buy new product as it was done with iPhone

Hello everyone, I have had my ring doorbell pro 2 for a few months now and out of the blue the battery started to drain I have it hardwired to the house and prior to using it I did a complete charge and the battery normally always stays charged. Any suggestions I took the battery out last night and did a charge for about 3 hours and right now it’s at 46%

Hey @Dee1100! The Video Doorbell 2 is battery operated primarily, and so the hardwired connection is for a charge and use of an existing chime kit. Depending on usage and other factors, the battery level could still decrease. Check out our Community post for tips and tricks on extending battery life. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Why doesn’t Ring disclose that hardwiring means “trickle charge” only. It’s very deceiving to sell item as the one to have option to be hardwired counting on customers to assume real meaning of the terminology which always means source of power is coming from the wires. On the other hand I guess Amazon doesn’t care as long as the item is sold.

Hi there, neighbors! Thank you for sharing your experiences and feedback with the Community, as well as your solutions with other neighbors. When it comes to keeping your battery charged, there are many variables to consider. You’ll find our Community post by Riley most helpful in describing what to consider for optimal battery life between charges. Additionally, depending on where you are located, many regions are seeing colder temperatures. Check out our help center article for tips on operating your devices in the cold, and what temperatures to avoid.

Connecting your Video Doorbell to wiring and/or the appropriate power source, can certainly help supply a trickle charge, as described in this Hardwired vs Battery Powered Operation help center article. If you are needing a power source, here are some of our accessories that might help:

We’ve also seen success with neighbors using wired devices in colder environments, such as our Video Doorbell Pro or our newest Video Doorbell Wired (available for pre-order), to avoid charging a battery all together.

As always, if you feel as though you are experiencing significant battery drain, not related to the factors described above, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Hi,
Purchased a Ring Video Doorbell2 (2nd Gen) in September 2020 which worked as it was supposed to. However, since mid January 2021 the fully charged battery only now seems to last for two weeks even with all of the motion sensitivity, recording duration and alerts set as the minimum settings.

Any advice?

Greetings - I too have been having issues and it troubles me that I went through the trouble to HardWire a Ring (2 generation) and a Ring3. It is silly that the device uses the battery and not the hardwired power FIRST!!!
If the hardwired power isn’t enough, then why was it designed?
Or is there an alternative transformer supply that could be used instead of the 50mA supply?
A USB charger supplies power at 1.5A (150mA), soooooooo??? I’m waiting?
If we paid for a device to charge with hardwire, then that is what we should get, if it cannot meet that criteria, then a recall should be in order. Or an upgrade to the “NEW” now availalbe “Video Doorbell Pro” (Requires a transformer (not included): 16-24 VAC, 40VA max, 50/60Hz). Does that transformer also work with other models? I really don’t want to buy another.
Thank you for the help.

1 Like

I have a hardwired Ring Doorbell. The battery is consistently dropping to zero. I live in Florida, this isn’t a cold weather issue. The battery was working fine until a few months ago. Of course, the Ring doorbell is past it’s one year warranty, so no assistant can be rendered. I’ve tried all the solutions in the above thread and nothing is fixing this issue. The activity level is no different than before. This shouldn’t be happening.

This is bad! I am now sure this is caused by one of their updates!! I disabled all features and it still drains out! (Bought ring doin oct 2020).

Hey Ring Customer Care, if you are reading this, stop pasting canned answers and suggest the usual troubleshooting steps. They do not work.
You need to bring it to your design department or equivalent and fix it. Otherwise, a good possibility you will get one of those class-actions suites and have to pay a lot more.

1 Like