Ring Doorbell 2 hardwired and battery life draining

Hi there, @jrojas! As mentioned in our help center article, extremely cold weather has unfortunate effects on lithium-ion batteries such as those used in Ring devices. As the temperature drops, these batteries begin to have trouble holding a charge and if it gets cold enough, they’ll stop working altogether. As a result, at certain temperatures, the batteries in your Ring device may run out of power faster than expected and may need to be recharged more often. This is not a feature that is specific to Ring or related to any firmware, but rather just a side effect of cold weather for any lithium-ion battery. There are various solutions for this such as hardwiring your Doorbell for a trickle charge, or even looking into our wired devices.

Why doesn’t Ring disclose that hardwiring means “trickle charge” only. It’s very deceiving to sell item as the one to have option to be hardwired counting on customers to assume real meaning of the terminology which always means source of power is coming from the wires. On the other hand I guess Amazon doesn’t care as long as the item is sold. Or another way to push customers to buy new product as it was done with iPhone

1 Like

Hello everyone, I have had my ring doorbell pro 2 for a few months now and out of the blue the battery started to drain I have it hardwired to the house and prior to using it I did a complete charge and the battery normally always stays charged. Any suggestions I took the battery out last night and did a charge for about 3 hours and right now it’s at 46%

Hey @Dee1100! The Video Doorbell 2 is battery operated primarily, and so the hardwired connection is for a charge and use of an existing chime kit. Depending on usage and other factors, the battery level could still decrease. Check out our Community post for tips and tricks on extending battery life. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Why doesn’t Ring disclose that hardwiring means “trickle charge” only. It’s very deceiving to sell item as the one to have option to be hardwired counting on customers to assume real meaning of the terminology which always means source of power is coming from the wires. On the other hand I guess Amazon doesn’t care as long as the item is sold.

Hi there, neighbors! Thank you for sharing your experiences and feedback with the Community, as well as your solutions with other neighbors. When it comes to keeping your battery charged, there are many variables to consider. You’ll find our Community post by Riley most helpful in describing what to consider for optimal battery life between charges. Additionally, depending on where you are located, many regions are seeing colder temperatures. Check out our help center article for tips on operating your devices in the cold, and what temperatures to avoid.

Connecting your Video Doorbell to wiring and/or the appropriate power source, can certainly help supply a trickle charge, as described in this Hardwired vs Battery Powered Operation help center article. If you are needing a power source, here are some of our accessories that might help:

We’ve also seen success with neighbors using wired devices in colder environments, such as our Video Doorbell Pro or our newest Video Doorbell Wired (available for pre-order), to avoid charging a battery all together.

As always, if you feel as though you are experiencing significant battery drain, not related to the factors described above, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

Hi,
Purchased a Ring Video Doorbell2 (2nd Gen) in September 2020 which worked as it was supposed to. However, since mid January 2021 the fully charged battery only now seems to last for two weeks even with all of the motion sensitivity, recording duration and alerts set as the minimum settings.

Any advice?

Greetings - I too have been having issues and it troubles me that I went through the trouble to HardWire a Ring (2 generation) and a Ring3. It is silly that the device uses the battery and not the hardwired power FIRST!!!
If the hardwired power isn’t enough, then why was it designed?
Or is there an alternative transformer supply that could be used instead of the 50mA supply?
A USB charger supplies power at 1.5A (150mA), soooooooo??? I’m waiting?
If we paid for a device to charge with hardwire, then that is what we should get, if it cannot meet that criteria, then a recall should be in order. Or an upgrade to the “NEW” now availalbe “Video Doorbell Pro” (Requires a transformer (not included): 16-24 VAC, 40VA max, 50/60Hz). Does that transformer also work with other models? I really don’t want to buy another.
Thank you for the help.

1 Like

I have a hardwired Ring Doorbell. The battery is consistently dropping to zero. I live in Florida, this isn’t a cold weather issue. The battery was working fine until a few months ago. Of course, the Ring doorbell is past it’s one year warranty, so no assistant can be rendered. I’ve tried all the solutions in the above thread and nothing is fixing this issue. The activity level is no different than before. This shouldn’t be happening.

This is bad! I am now sure this is caused by one of their updates!! I disabled all features and it still drains out! (Bought ring doin oct 2020).

Hey Ring Customer Care, if you are reading this, stop pasting canned answers and suggest the usual troubleshooting steps. They do not work.
You need to bring it to your design department or equivalent and fix it. Otherwise, a good possibility you will get one of those class-actions suites and have to pay a lot more.

1 Like

Having similar issue. I purchased a Ring Doorbell 3 Plus and hardwired to ring transformer. Battery showed 54%, so I replace hardwired doorbell battery with brand new fully charged Ring battery and the unit still shows 54%. Doesn’t change, does not go down and will not go up when fully charged battery installed. Always 54%…

I have video doorbell 2 since one and half year ago. It has been hardwired since day one. I noticed the battery since months ago. When it dropped to 2%, I adjusted the settings to record less. It does help regaining charge level. If I set it to record more, battery level dropped again. I live in southern California where the temperature never dropped to 32 F in recent year. I guess Ring can’t or is not willing not fix the issue. But at least can Ring answer my question?
What if battery level dropped to zero when hardwired? Does it still record? Or does it stop functioning completely until it has some charge again?

1 Like

This is all a crock of BS. Ring needs to stop lying to customers about the BS batteries dying because of too many alerts or cold weather. I have had my ring doorbell for 4 1/2 years and the first 4 years or so, I never had any issues. My doorbell has been hardwired and settings have been always the same and my battery always stayed at 100% charged. The last 6 months is a whole different story. Once again, still hard wired and settings still the same as last 4 years, but now all of a sudden my battery drains down to almost ZERO at least once a week. I have Ring cameras that ARE NOT hardwired and get 10 times more alerts than my doorbell everyday and the battery lasts 10 times longer before I need to charge it. Ring needs to address the issue and fix the problem instead of BS’ing their customers. It just might be time to start a movement and maybe everyone just stops using Ring all together. Fix the problem or risk losing thousands of customers. It shouldn’t be that hard of a choice.

4 Likes

I’ve got the same issue going on. My Ring Doorbell 2 is hardwired. I’ve never had an issue with a low battery alert in over a year. Now it doesn’t want to work because “the battery is low”. I’m not using the battery. That’s why we hard wired it to start with so we didn’t have to mess with taking it down and recharging it. I live out in the country so we don’t have many people ringing our doorbell so it is well BELOW “NORMAL USE”, so the power from being hard wired has been more than enough to keep the useless battery charged. Has there been an update causing this? In researching the problem it seems A LOT OF PEOPLE SUDDENLY STARTED HAVING THIS ISSUE AFTER HAVING NO ISSUE AT ALL FOR A VERY LONG TIME. The battery was only to be a backup if we have a loss of power for any reason, and we’ve had no power loss to speak of for several months.

2 Likes

Same here I’ve had my Ring Doorbell 2 never have had and issue for 2 years it’s hardwired and all of a sudden in the past couple of months the battery drains to zero and dies within a week As with the above posts nothing has changed my WiFi signal is optimal and I installed a new charged battery (thought it might be bc of the age of the battery) but it still drains @Ring what is going on this is ridiculous I am about to remove it and purchase another competitive product

1 Like

I am all of a sudden having the same problem, I didn’t have to change the battery for 2 plus years, I haven’t changed a single thing and now the battery drains in a very short time about 2 months. Something has changed and it isn’t something I have done.

I have had my Doorbell 2 installed for over 2 years (hardwired from day 1, and no changes to settings after the first week) and have not had issues out of it until early this month. Like all the others here, the battery died without warning. I am in SC, so not a cold climate.

same here after 2 years. Shows hardwired but battery drained and now not connected either. We are in Socal so no temp issues here. ranges from 70 to 80F most of the year

This is absaloutely a scam. I hardwired my Ring doorbell today and I’ve never seen the battery drain so fast… 100% to 71% in just 5 hours.

Usually lasts 3 months between charges…

Hi neighbors, I recommend consulting the information in the marked solution. If your battery is draining very quickly, there could be various different causes which are covered in the marked solution. For additional troubleshooting help, you can also check out this Help Center article. If this problem persists despite all troubleshooting, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.