Ring doorbell 2 battery runs down even though hard wired

I have a Ring Video Doorbell 2. I installed it at least a year ago - hard wired to where the existing doorbell had been wired.
It shows up as hard wired in the app, and it rings the old doorbell chimes when the button is pushed.
Recently, I discovered that the battery was run down and the doorbell no longer functioned. I assume that the battery is normally continually recharged by being hard wired.
I removed the battery and recharged it, and the doorbell started to work again.
But the battery is rapidly discharging, so whatever circuit originally recharged it must no longer be working.
What can I do? I am not prepared to continually remove/recharge the battery. The thought of having to buy a new doorbell does not excite me - and any replacement would not likely be a Ring.

1 Like

I have the same situation. My ring doorbell has been hardwired installed for over 18 months. Recently I noticed a new battery charging icon on my app. Within a week my battery died. I haven’t had any issues before this happened.
What happened to my fully functioning door bell? Why did it stop working?
I agree with the review. If this isn’t corrected I won’t be purchasing another ring product.

I have had a Ring doorbell 2 for about 3 years. It is also hardwired and the battery never gave me trouble. This past winter I got alerted that the battery was low, which made sense since we had some cold weather for a few days in a row (in the Toronto area). However, this morning at 12:09 am I received an alert email that my battery was low and needed charging.

1. When I checked this morning, the app says the battery has 4% left. Why would the system take so long to notify me that the battery is low, ie, until it was almost depleted?

2. As it is not cold this time of the year, why would the battery discharge so much? I haven’t changed any of the recording settings in quite a long time. Is the battery failing?

Hi there, neighbors! Our Community post about battery drain has some great information on battery drain factors and how to prevent your battery from being used too quickly. As most have mentioned here, this is normally due to Ring device usage or number of events per day, but can also be caused by connection and environmental variables.

If you’ve optimized your battery use following the tips above, and battery is still draining,

Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.