Ring Doorbell 2 battery issue

My Ring Doorbell 2 is wired into the transformer for the doorbell. For 2 years it worked without issue. A month ago I noticed the low battery indicator. I didn’t even relize there was a battery in it with it being on AC. I replaced the battery and it was working again. I charged the dead battery and it works fine. Now a month later the battery is dead again. What is going on with the doorbell?

@Martyver wrote:

My Ring Doorbell 2 is wired into the transformer for the doorbell. For 2 years it worked without issue. A month ago I noticed the low battery indicator. I didn’t even relize there was a battery in it with it being on AC. I replaced the battery and it was working again. I charged the dead battery and it works fine. Now a month later the battery is dead again. What is going on with the doorbell?

Your “Ring Doorbell 2” is actually is a battery-run device, with a"Quick Release Battery Pack." The hardwire transformer just charges the battery, but the battery is what really powers the Doorbell. You can check the status of your battery by selecting “Device Health” which should display your Power Source as “Hardwired”, and below that it displays the level of Battery Charge. Most of the time you’ll find the Battery at 100% but under heavy frequent use (Snapshot feature Enabled?), that percentage can drop until your transformer can catch up recharging it.

When you said, “I replaced the battery and it was working again”, I am assuming you mean you removed the battery, recharged it, and then replaced this same original battery back in . . . as oppose to you brought a new “Quick Release Battery.”

It is possible that your transformer current is no longer recharging the battery. But more likely, your old battery is just not recharging as well as it did brand new. Maybe time to buy a new “Quick Release Battery Pack.” since rechargable batteries typically have a 2 to 4 life span, and yours is over 2 years old.

I hope this helps you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the info.

1 Like

@Martyver wrote:

Thanks for the info.

You’re welcome. My pleasure. Hopefully this information helped you. :slight_smile:

1 Like