Ring devices won't reconnect to wi-fi after power cut

My Chime (2nd Gen) and two new Floodlight Cam Wired Pro’s won’t reconnect to wi-fi after a power cut.

We had a short 15 second power cut to the house. After which my Ring devices won’t now reconnect to wi-fi (showing offline in the App and website account). But, my Video Doorbell 4 is fine. My internet connection is fine, so is my wi-fi as tested with my phone and laptop.

The Chime had been working fine, and the Floodlight Cam Wired Pro’s working fine for the couple of days they had been installed before the power cut.

I have tried the following, none of which worked:

• pressed the button on the camera’s to enter setup mode, then pressed the button again to initiate wi-fi reconnection. The camera’s reported they had reconnected, but it hadn’t as it remained offline in the app.
  • attempted to reconnect through the app, reselecting wi-fi point, re-entering password. But, it times out and reports unable to connect.
  • removed the devices from the app to try adding them again.
  • Reset one of the cameras back to factory default by pressing the button for 20+ seconds. Then restarting setup again. I can connect to the device setup wi-fi ok, then the device is able to scan and detect my wi-fi points. But, when I select the wi-fi point and enter the password, it fails and reports unable to connect to the wi-fi point.
  • did the same factory reset for the Chime. Tried to re-add the Chime in the app, but fails to connect and reports ‘something went wrong’ in the app.
  • I have restarted the router.
  • I have restarted my wi-fi point (the same one that my Doorbell works fine with).
  • My router shows the camera which wasn’t reset, connected to the wi-fi point. But the camera remained offline.
  • Deleted and re-installed the app.

What else can I try?

2 Likes

Hi @JARW. It sounds like you’ve covered most of the basic steps I typically suggest. One thing you can try, would be to connect your camera to a wifi hotspot. Once you are online with the wifi hotspot, go into the Device Health section of the Ring app and select Change my WiFi network. If you are asked to join a previous network, select NO and enter all of your wifi information in manually. Let me know if this works!

1 Like

Ring needs to FIX their FIRMWARE so that these disconnects don’t happen after a simple WiFi outage!

This has been asked for time and time and time again, for YEARS

Reconnect to WiFi should be handled automatically, immediately when the WiFi becomes available again, and not require the owner to be physically present!

8 Likes

@blouse! Yes! Cannot reestablish connection to stick cam, and I am 450 miles away from it. Neighbor on-site trying to help, but seems like I need to be physically near the cam to reconnect via WiFi. Oy.

2 Likes

or, in my case 3 of the 5 cameras came back online themselves. one came back on a second try on the phone to reconnect. The 5th seems dead. We had a power outage, not a surge since I have the power records here in front of me. But the camera seems dead and unable to power on. The power cord does work with another camera so it is the camera, not the power supply. Are they really that fragile?

1 Like

Hi @FireMist. If one of your Cameras is unresponsive and the power cord works with another Camera, I would recommend following up with our support team so they can look into this further. They’ll walk you through all applicable troubleshooting steps and determine if a replacement is needed under the device’s warranty. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

This is a known common issue with ring. Unless you physically push the orange button it will not reconnect. Calling your “support” team results in them reading a script to you of things we already did. Telling it that you changed the network does not work as the light has to be spinning. It requires manual intervention. There is a problem with the product. I have two wired cameras. One has the issue, the other does not. Swapping the two cameras, the problem goes with the camera.

1 Like

Hi @NJM. What is the RSSI for your devices? If your cameras don’t automatically reconnect, you may have a low RSSI, or the security settings on your network can also be prohibiting the camera from rejoining. I recently upgraded to the Ring Alarm Pro with the built in Eero 6 and now all of my devices have an RSSI of -37 or better. Prior to this, my RSSI was around -68 and I would have difficulty getting this camera back online after an outage. Try bringing a camera in the same room as your router, then reboot your router and give the camera about 10 minutes to rejoin the network. Let me know how this goes for you.

1 Like

I have a floodlight cam wired pro.
It fails to reconnect to the wifi network after any minor power cut.
To add insult to injury, it then flashes the spotlight continuously until it is powered of.
This is a massive bug that urgently needs to be rectified.
My wifi is less than 2 feet away from the floodlight.
When I am 3000 miles away, having to physically reset the security device is nonsense. The whole point is to be able to rely on a security device when you are not at home.
My neighbours love me at the moment, 48 hours of flashing floodlights in their window. Not impressed.
Please formally respond to this Ring.

1 Like

Hi @User223344. The Ring Community is a public, peer-to-peer forum where neighbors can interact with each other and share troubleshooting tips. Members of our Community team will provide general assistance as well, but more advanced concerns may require our support team.

If your Floodlight Cam isn’t reconnecting to wifi automatically after a power or wifi outage, it may not have a stable connection to your wifi. Try checking the RSSI on the Device Health screen. The wifi access point closest to your Floodlight Cam may need to be repositioned, as wifi signals don’t always travel well through different building materials or if other electronics nearby are causing interference. I hope these suggestions are helpful! If you need further assistance, our support team can take a deeper dive. :slight_smile: