Ring contact sensor works only one magnet is touching the sensor

I have the Ring alarm setup and all of a sudden one of the contact sensors stopped working. I changed the battery and it will still not work. Other sensors worked with the same battery. Then I removed the senor and magnet from the door and it would work (show “Open” or “close”) when the magnet is in contact with the senor.

It should work when the magnet and sensor are up to one inch apart but mine won’t work until I bring them really close to each other.

Is this sensor defective? Any tips and tricks to resolve this issue?

Thank you in advance.

Hi @RJ2207. This could be because of a a few different things. First, what is the surface the Contact Sensor is mounted on? If it is metal or brick for example, it could be experiencing interference. Secondly, what is the distance from the Contact Sensor to the Base Station? If it is too far, you may need to add a Range Extender halfway between the two.

Hello Tom,

Thank you for your response. The sensor is on a wooden surface. And it is right next to the base station. In fact, it was working fine for many months and then all of a sudden it went offline. I changed batteries and teried again and it wornt work. But if i remove the sensor and the magnet and keep them very close (less than 2-3mm), it responds. Any more distance and it won’t respond.

I am guessing ts a faulty sensor.

Thank you,
Ranveer

Hi @RJ2207. The Contact Sensor should perform well on a wood surface. I suggest resetting your contact sensor and adding it back to your system. This Help Center article here has information on how to do this. If you are still having issues after that, you may need to reach out to our support team. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

I was trying this out and got some issues and still finding it can you give some more suggestions if any thanks in advance.

Hi @Isac. As suggested above, a picture of how your Contact Sensor is mounted is a great start.

1 Like

If it’s mounted on wood, is it painted? There very well could be a nail behind which could be interfering.

Have you tried taking both out and testing them to verify if the location is not causing the interference?

1 Like

ok same thing happened to me contact sensor bought a few months ago then bang one early morning alarm goes off when in the home mode. Checked door fully locked then thought it could be batteries, but they were perfect, then thought moisture as it was used in a utility room with tumble dryer etc so cleaned it up and reset it and all was good for a few days then boom same again!! To cut a long story short I took off the cover from the magnet sensor and realised there is a slim magnet inside with self adhesive pad. I took off the plastic case and attached back to the PVC door and boom works perfectly now as a slim magnet. Can only assume that the magnet in its case had been compromised by moisture, temperature or a slightly longer distance to sensor gap between sensor and magnet and the plastic cover was blocking the signal sometimes, but it certainly seems to be working fine now and has done for weeks now with no mishaps (so far!)

1 Like

Hi @user38575. Thanks for sharing the solution that worked for you! I’m glad to hear your Contact Sensor has been working without issue for a few weeks now as well. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.