Ring - Cold Weather

Can ring come up with a doorbell that can handle cold weather or relies on the hardwire to function and not the battery. Ive now changed my battery about 6 times over the last 3 days and many times it just stops working. Or even make some sort of heated mounting plate for us in the upper Midwest.

1 Like

Hi there, @Isaacd! I’m glad you asked. At Ring, we totally understand that each home is different, as is the environment for many. Considering these environmental variables, our devices have an operating temperature range available in the tech specs of most devices’ product pages at Ring.com. For most of our devices, this is usually -5ºF to 120ºF (-20ºC to 48ºC). As described in our help center article about cold weather, this is a common impacting factory for lithium-ion batteries.

Our Doorbell Pro or our newest Video Doorbell Wired (available for pre-order) are great solutions for having wired power as the primary source of powering, without needing to keep a battery charged. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a Ring Video Doorbell 1st Gen (with battery) and a Video Doorbell Pro (no battery).
Both are wired.
Neither one has ever worked in winter here in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
It gets much too cold here for any of Ring’s outdoor devices.
-5ºF to 120ºF (-20ºC to 48ºC) just won’t do in many cities, battery or no battery.
I would love to see some -40ºF to 120ºF (-40ºC to 48ºC) cameras.

We had a pretty cold spell last winter in Wisconsin, but my battery Spotlight Cams continued to work until the temp would get to around -20F at night. At that point I believe the battery itself stopped functioning, as they’d resume operation again in the morning once the sun came up and it warmed up a bit. My Video Doorbell 2020 release which is hardwired also worked without issue, although the charging cutoff threshold seems to be set around 40F, so lower than that and it would stop charging. My Floodlight Cam worked without issue the entire time.

Hopefully at some point the Li-ion battery technology will advance to include cold weather operation, or another battery technology will come along.

2 Likes