Ring camera lights coming on during daylight hours?

So I am sat here at 18:15 hrs. Sundown is offficially at 20:51hrs and it I still very uhh daylight butt with movement my back yard Spotlight cameras have turned on their lights.

How do I go abou changing this? What sets the light tolerance levels? Is it from a device sensor or time based? If it is time based I would suggest that it is failing to take into acccount daylight savings and summer time.

Good question @Arn_Oli! These lights will turn on when it is dark. It might be that the environment on one side of your home is a little darker, or gets dark sooner, than the other. Check out our help center article for more tips on controlling the lights on you Spotlight Cam. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Sadly I have checked the article and there is nothing in there about tuning when the lights come on.

This is an issue every day with the spotlights coming on when it isn’t dark. Like I said about two hours too early. Either side of the house or facing towards the sun has no affect.

I can see no way to adjust this and it is clearly an issue with the inbuilt camera software settings. If there was some form of diagnostics I would be interested to see what the cameras believe the brightness/lux to be. You didn’t mention if the cameras determine “night” from a light sensor or local time.

So this is still an issue.

Our outside lights (Ring Spotlight Cams) come on with movement after 1800hrs.

The lights clearly come on with motion based on a clock setting not on an external lux reading and not based on regional sunset. Or they don’t take into account daylight savings?

Can we please…. Please have this put forward to be fixed?

I don’t need outside lights coming on with motion a full 3 hours before sunset. I would suggest they should come on during sundown or give the customer the ability to set their preference. On a timer or before or after local sunrise/set times.

I can see I can create a light schedule but that will need changing throughout the year to take into account the sunset/rise times.

Is anyone from Ring themselves taking an interest at all?

I say this as I am sat in our garden looking at a motion camera that has lit up despite the fact that it is daylight out here.

The cameras really need to have an understanding of daylight hours throughout the year.

I appreciate that in the winter it’d be getting dark now.

Hi @Arn_Oli. The Ring Community is a public forum where we can provide general troubleshooting tips and tricks, as we don’t have access to device details. The lights on the Floodlight Cam or Spotlight Cam should only come on with motion when it is dark enough outside. If you see that the light is coming on in the daylight, you can try a quick reboot using the reboot option from the Device Health page. If that doesn’t resolve this issue, it would be best to get in touch with our support team so they can provide more in-depth troubleshooting assistance.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.