Ring Application and VPN

I got a ring doorbell 2 a couple of days ago and everything was great and working fine.

In my router I have configured a VPN that is used only for some particular devices. My iphone is one of these devices. My Ring Doorbell 2 does not use the VPN

From yesterday I can no longer log into my Ring App (and Rapid Ring App) via my phone if the VPN is connected. Are Ring blacklisting IP addresses from known VPN providers?

Thanks

1 Like

Hey @davidbutler62. As of December 2019, we no longer support the use of VPNs while accessing Ring, Rapid Ring, or Neighbors applications. In order to use these applications, you will need to disable their VPN or ask their VPN provider to help them exclude Ring traffic from the VPN. Hope this helps!

I’m still able to use my VPN. Hope it doesn’t stop. I need it to get access at work for videos. I use one in my state. Maybe that’s why it stills works for myself and others at work. They’d be very upset if they lost that access.

This is bad news for me, and will I probably not purchase any more ring products due to this limitation.

Since my VPN is configured in my router it might be possible for me to exclude Ring App traffic but I would first need a list of all Ring hosts that the app connects to. Can you provide me that information?

So now it started working again with the VPN running. Hopefully it will not stop again :slight_smile:

1 Like

You ever find a work around?

My issue was Live View doesn’t work with NORD VPN active. I am using NORD VPN / Ring on Apple products - iPhone, iPad, Mac Air. Chatted with Norden - Setting VPN protocol to IKEv2 (Apple protocol) seems to have resolved the issue. Hope this helps.

want to see if you still have Ring app working on your VPN. I use another well known VPN called Windscribe. There are settings for iKEv2, UDP, TCP, and Wireguard. None of them will let me see my live Ring video. I can whitelist URLs – I tried ring.com but that doesn’t work. Maybe I need to put some amazon server. Not sure. I hope someone knows what server I need to unblock. I have no problem if Ring has to bypass my VPN, I just want it to work.

Hi there, neighbors! Due to the technical issues that VPNs can cause, and to maintain reliable performance and a seamless experience for our customers, we no longer support the use of VPNs. Also, our security systems block IP addresses used to exploit or attack our systems and occasionally VPN IP addresses fall into that category.

Ring values the trust our neighbors place in us and we are committed to the highest level of customer information and data security. As we continually work to make our devices and services more useful and secure for our users, we are actively developing new security features and capabilities. Check out our help center article about VPN and the Ring app for more information.