Ring App using mobile data while connected to Wi-Fi

Ditto. After yesterday, mine is back to working as expected; no live view for my floodlight cam unless I’m tethered to my laptop and using the web browser (which confirms the hardware and wifi connections are not the issue), going on month two. #android #pixel6 #brokenapp

Does the extra warranty coverage in the Protect Plus plan I’m currently paying for cover things like the app being broken and unusable?

3 Likes

I agree, there is a bug if Ring installed a feature on the iOS version that they left out of the Android version.

So Ring…why am I paying for your defects and when are going to reimburse me for all the mobile data you’ve eaten up???

1 Like

Would have been nice to know this was an issue before I was charged for an extra 4GBs. App is pretty much useless at this point until this is fixed.

2 Likes

December 15, 2021 and still no fix. Just got a high data usage warning while using the Ring app on Wi-Fi. Ring, I look forward to the carrier statement credits you will be providing users for the money you’ve cost us.

Edit: I’m using a Samsung Galaxy S9 running Android 10 with Samsung One UI version 2.5.

2 Likes

Thank you for the continued feedback, as we continue to share it with our teams here. Our team is looking into this, but if you are looking for further or immediate assistance, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here . If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

I called the support number you referred me to and they refused to acknowledge that it is a Ring bug. He said that it is a phone issue and has nothing to do with Ring. I’ve changed no settings on my phone, but Ring suddenly started doing this. How can we get Ring to acknowledge and get this bug fixed?

3 Likes

Just downloaded v3.47.0 update from Google Play. While connected to my Wi-Fi network, a brief 10-second test of Live View consumed 2.21 MB of my mobile data. The issue persists.

2 Likes

The person who I spoke with earlier from the “support team” recommended that I “turn off” Mobile Data on my mobile device. While this does work to prevent the Ring app from consuming my limited mobile data, I don’t consider this to be the “solution” to the ongoing problem since it also effectively blocks other important (non-Ring) notifications from being received. So, I hope that this “recommendation” from the Ring support team was intended to be only an interim workaround until the real Bug is fixed. It’s been quite a while since this issue was first posted in this forum (several separate threads).

Marley_Ring: If a fellow Ring User was told by someone at the support team that this is “a phone issue and has nothing to do with Ring”, I would be a bit concerned as it would be contrary to the generic ~ “Our team is looking into this…”. Are you able to provide more clarity on this matter?

Addendum: The person from the Ring support team , who I spoke earlier, also mentioned this other forum discussion thread-- Ring app used 4.8gb of mobile data in two hours. So, they were apparently already aware of the same User issue.

2 Likes

Samsung Galaxy Note 8. Ring App up-to-date.

When I’m home and have wifi and mobile data turned on on my phone and do a live view on one of my cameras or my doorbell, the mobile data icon then appears in the phone’s status bar and the app uses mobile data, ignoring that I am connected to wifi. I know this because the live view is laggy and I have bad mobile data signal at my house. If I turn off mobile data in the phone settings, the live view will then use wifi and it will not be laggy. I can see a considerable increase on my monthly data usage when this bug occurs, further indicating that mobile data is in fact being used.

Needless to say, I am not going to manually turn off mobile data every time I am home just so I can respond to alerts and execute live view without it trying to use mobile data. That is an unreasonable solution as I am constantly in and out of my house and have to go through 3-4 pages of menus to turn off mobile data just to force the Ring app to use my wifi connection.

I have never encountered an app that does not prioritize wifi usage if connected to wifi, rather than explicitly using mobile data and ignoring the active wifi connection. I therefore believe this is a bug with the app. Support was unable to assist me over chat and I just don’t have the time to talk on the phone with technical support as that seems to be the only way to reach them. I hate talking on the phone.

2 Likes

This has been happening for 3 months now. Just 1 day ago I had 10% of my data left and then I was charged for an overage. Since this has been going on for so long they apparently aren’t doing anything about it. I will be changing over to Nest soon. Too bad, spent a lot of money on 3 Ring products. But at an extra $15.00 a month for more data, its not worth is. I have to turn off my mobile data in the house and then remember to keep switching it back and forth when I go out.

2 Likes

Something changed on the app during the month of Oct/Nov that’s causing the app to use mobile data in live view… The use of mobile data in live view is going to cost people real world money if this doesn’t get fixed…

I work from home. Sometimes I have live view running to watch for packages… I was surprised to see the 4gLTE come on one day while on wifi… When looking at mobile data usage, the Ring app had used over 1gb starting in the month of November… So far in December it has used 1.08gb… During October it only used 74.58MB… So this change likely happened in November…

The only work around I’ve found is to turn off mobile data while home…

Here’s the thing. I don’t believe they care to fix this. So I encourage you all to contact the Better Business Bureau, Federal Trade Commission, and even your states Attorney Generals office…

Until this starts costing them money, they won’t fix it.

4 Likes

Agreed. Neither of the “official” Ring representatives (@Tom_Ring @Marley_Ring ) here has given a real response, and contacting Support is useless (as several others have confirmed).

I, too, was considering the Better Business Bureau as a potential next step, and may look into initiating a class-action suit.

2 Likes

Yes, this was happening to me a couple of months ago. I changed some setting in Android 12 (forget what they were at the moment) which seemed to fix it. But now it has just started again. Not sure if Ring recently updated their app again and this is resetting whatever fix I had previously found. But this is definitely costing people money and is definitely a new problem since it did not happen for a year+ prior to that. Perhaps the Google line of products work better and it is time to test those out instead of Ring?

1 Like

Please let us know if you remember what setting you changed. You would think there would be lot more complaints about mobile data usage while on wifi on Android 12. Did not see any complaints on amazon reviews.

1 Like

Same issue on new samsung and Android 11 the only fix I can see is when access cameras turn off mobile data and works wifi. My LG phone works fine also android 11

1 Like

I solved my usage problem on s21 android 12 by restarting my router. Let me know if it solves
your data usage problem while on wifi.

I just uninstalled the Ring app until this is fixed. This is ridiculous.

Manually turning off mobile data while on wi-fi (and remembering to do so!) is not an acceptable solution.

3 Likes

Did you try restarting your router?

Yes. Also this issue was happening everywhere I went with wi-fi, not just at home.

2 Likes

Agreed. This is 100% a bug in the app, not a router issue.

2 Likes