Ring app used 4.8gb of mobile data in two hours

You’re wasting your time. Ring doesn’t give a sh*t about you or your problem. You will take wahtever piece of crap app they give you and you’ll like it. OK?

1 Like

I have a new Android phone and notice the high Ring mobile data usage. Ring is always connected to my in home Wi Fi just as my old phone was.
I tried connecting to my Ring with my old phone that has no mobile account anymore and was able to access my Ring devices fine. Question is how can a phone with no mobile account access Ring? Therefore why does my activated phone need to use mobile data for Ring?

1 Like

Having the same issue here. Samsung Ultra 21. I enabled the DATA SAVER functionality that allows me to designate which applications can use Mobile data. This allows me to reduce data usage and remind me to connect to wifi if I wish to use disallowed apps.
As you can guess, the Ring app is set to not allow use over Mobile data but I consistently see usage of the app via Mobile.
Come on Ring Support… step up and get this fixed please!

2 Likes

Same here. I used up all my data , so I had to purchase an extra Gig from Verizon for $15. Was very surprised when I was at home on my WIFI, while using the Ring App, when I get another message that I had used up all my data again and was in safety mode! I went to wifi setting and made sure I was connected to WIFI. I found this thread and am very disappointed that so many others have the same problem for so long.

UPDATE: For me, problem has stopped. Before when using Live View (when connected to wifi) my Verizon 4G light would go on and it would use my cellular data. It has stopped and now only uses wifi. So far so good. Live View seemed to be the problem. Check your cellular data before and after using it.

UPDATE2: Short lasted. Using 4G Cellular Data again on WIFI while using Smart View (01/14/21).

2 Likes

This has simply gone on far too long!

I’ve now reported this to the Google App Store - instructions on how to report an app:

1. Open the Google Play Store app .
  2. Go to the detail page for an app or game.
  3. Tap More and then hit the three dots Flag as inappropriate .
  4. Choose a reason. - Data Abuse
  5. Tap Submit .

There is a specific category when you report called “Data Abuse.” I referenced this forum post and explained that the app does not respect the use of WiFi when connected and instead uses mobile data.

Perhaps other should also consider reporting this issue, this might speed things along.

2 Likes

This is happing to me also. WHAT is the fix?

The solution is to return your ring camera and buy a different brand. This fixed the problem 100% for me.

I downloaded the January update and I’m cautiously optimistic so far.

My data monitoring app is showing that Ring used no mobile data when I viewed my three cameras while on WiFi just now.

Curious if others are finding the same thing after the latest app update.

2 Likes

I just downloaded newest app v3.48.0 myself and ran a few Live View tests on my cameras. At least initially, this version appears to have addressed the mobile data bug that was ignoring available Wi-Fi. I still plan to run it through more tests over the next couple of days just to make sure it holds up.

Update: With all default settings restored, the updated app worked properly with both of my Wi-Fi networks. For me, the Jan ’22 app update has finally resolved the issue.

2 Likes

Yes, as others have mentioned, the issue seems to be resolved with the latest update 3.48.0.

It’s unfortunate that it took 3+ months to get this done and with no acknowledgement from Ring that the issue even existed in the first place. The first rule of crisis management is always to acknowledge the issue! The public tends to be patient when you do that.

1 Like

And thats just it @user2058, support typically suggests two troubleshooting steps - check power level, check your RSSI and if thats not it…reset the device, thats the level of support provided. Not even a substantiated confirmation of the issue in this thread, only “our teams are looking into the issue”. Extremely frustrating.