Ring app used 4.8gb of mobile data in two hours

Having the same issue. I’ve used more data in the last 6 days then I used in the last 6 months. This needs to be addressed immediately.

2 Likes

Yes, the same issue here on Pixel 6 Pro, Android 12. Connected to strong wifi at home and elsewhere but it uses my data instead of wifi when viewing videos. Very frustrating as it costs me extra on my phone bill each month now!

2 Likes

Does anyone have suggestions for an escalation path on this issue? There’s obviously no denying this is a bug in the app impacting many users.

If the official response will be pretending it’s not a known problem and hoping users forget about it, the Nest products are looking more and more appealing.

1 Like

I am here to report this same issue. If they aren’t aware of this, then the staff that’s paid to respond to messages in the forum aren’t doing their job (see the response from a Ring staff member above).

Went from Android 9 to 12 and the issue began right away.

No excuses, diagnose and publish an app with this issue corrected!

2 Likes

I had a pleasant conversation with someone from Ring Community Support (1-800-656-1918) early this morning. We started by reviewing my account and eventually got around to discussing this particular Community Board discussion thread. After taking some time to review the posts, I was assured that the issue will be presented to the tech-support team.

Thank you sharing this information. I too am having the same issue (Google Pixel) and have not received a response to my email.

2 Likes

Some mitigating measures that have worked for me in sparing mobile data:

Ring App Settings: In order to maintain the Rich Notification app feature, I currently opt to allow background data usage. For some, it might be more advantageous to turn this feature off (at the expense of losing the Rich Notification feature). My next option would be to just turn off background data.

Android Device Settings: Because I’m still experiencing significant foreground mobile data loss when using Live View, and when turning up to 9 system devices on/off on a daily basis, I dis-allow use of mobile data while in a trusted WiFi network (force app to use WiFi) – then turn mobile data back on to allow all push notifications. I use Live View on my PC whenever possible. My next option would be to absorb the mobile data overage or simply kill (force stop) the app.

Hopefully, the inconvenience is only temporary. I welcome other ideas, thoughts, suggestions.

It’s pretty ridiculous that this issue has been around since July and nothing has been done to fix this. I’ve just noticed the same since 2-3 weeks, both on iOS and Android. First we thought this was due to poor Wi-Fi but after some investigation Ring was the cause. Cost us a few hundred already for excessive data use

Issue is still present on Android 3.45.1 and iOS most recent update

2 Likes

It’s also incredibly frustrating that there seems to be no way to actually escalate this issue to anyone at Ring who cares or has the ability to get it corrected. Posting here, posting to Reddit, calling Ring Support, and emailing the developer email address have all resulted in little more than a canned acknowledgement that someone would look into it (and in many cases, no response at all).

1 Like

Just received the November 11th update of the Ring app, and sadly it’s still exhibiting the same bug. Even when connected to our home WiFi, the app is streaming over cellular data.

1 Like

Same issue on Samsung S10e and iPhone 7, both on Verizon.
Solid wifi signal yet Ring uses the mobile data.
Other apps are properly behaved, only observed the issue with Ring Live View.

@Ring - Would appreciate hearing feedback or reference to a defect number.

Thank you and good day

2 Likes

The issue persists even after November 15 Android app update to V3.46.0.

1 Like

Can someone from Ring please provide any sort of update on this? The app is crucial to using your products (products which many users including myself have spent hundreds of dollars on as well as monthly maintenance fees) and right now it’s essentially useless.

1 Like

The app used 10gb+ of data…this is ridiculous. If Ring doesn’t fix this in short order I’m ripping everything Ring out of house and replacing it.

I toggles Cellular Data OFF and IT TOGGLES IT BACK ON by itself. Verizon just said I only have 10% left of data this month with 22 days to go. This is iOS also.

2 Likes

Same issue on iOS. Used 2.2 GB in 2 days without me watching a single video… This is so bad…

2 Likes

Thank you for the continued feedback, as we continue to share it with our teams here. Our team is looking into this, but if you are looking for further or immediate assistance, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

2 Likes

Temp fix is to simply turn off Cellular data for the Ring App. But keep an eye on it…I noticed if you update the app it toggles it back on. In iOS Settings → Cellular → Toggle Ring off.

It was at 14.8gb… next closest? Safari… 1.2gb.

2 Likes

Same issue here… Ridiculous its been going on this long.

2 Likes

I’ve given up using the Ring app entirely. I just use the “Rapid Ring” app instead, which of course only works with live viewing (it doesn’t allow you to view historical events).

I only have one camera, so for me the easy fix will be to replace it with a different brand camera. I will never buy or use another Ring device again, or any other Amazon hardware for that matter. Complete trash.

3 Likes

The app seems to use mobile data when I select to view “Live”… As soon as I view Live, the 4g lte icon appears.

This is a problem because my ring device and phone are using the same wifi…

2 Likes