Ring app requires 'Force Quit' macOS Big Sur 11

Still angry? App still hanging on quitting? Try this:

1. Delete the app.

2. Look for a folder called com.ring.mac, and delete it with extreme prejudice.

3. Also look for the folder called com.ring.mac, and delete that little SOB too.

4. Just to be thorough, and because your left-over garbage installation cruft from ancient versions of Ring may be different than mine, look for other things that look like they belong to ring, and delete them too. It’s a little scary, but satisfying.

I don’t remember where I found those folders, but you can search, because you are smarter than a Ring support person. They are likely in ~/Library/Application Support, or ~/Library/Preferences. Those folders made you angry by breaking the app, so you should enjoy hunting them down in /Library and ~/Library, and killing them. Note of caution, something called “com.apple.boringfile” (and the like) isn’t your enemy. Something that looks like “com.ring.support.h8s.u” is the enemy. (look for the obvious word “ring” in the name).

Then install the latest version of the Ring App. I have 2.8.3, which didn’t work before I got murderous on the folders shown above.

If your system is like mine, the Ring App will work. If it doesn’t, well, I tried to help.

Also, Ring support should be ashamed of itself for not knowing about this. Get in the sea, guys.

2 Likes