Ring App Path?

Does the ring app communicate with cameras when on same WiFi or does it still go out to the cloud and back?

Reason I ask is I can’t use live view feature when on WiFi from inside my house, but can when I’m on someone else’s WiFi or over cellular.

This problem has had me baffled and makes the feature totally useless for answering the door or seeing who’s approaching when I’m home.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Exactly why I’m asking how the app communicates. If I know the path and what it’s trying to communicate with, path, port, etc. i could likely nail it down.

1 Like

Thanks Solar and yes, done before I posted. Logs show no blocks and while I have rules applied for various things, none are showing blocking *.ring.com on anything. I can only assume the live view hits some other site or possibly failing some other protocol.

Pretty hard to troubleshoot when I’m not sure what other traffic I’m looking for. I’ve done a traceroute to ring.com with my phone on WiFi and cellular. Outside of the initial hop, they are the same. There has to be a path or tracker other than ring.com in the mix I’m not seeing.

1 Like

Alright. I’ve got this issue nailed down to marketing and ad trackers. I’ve got them mostly blocked and so far as being inundated with junk while I browse the web, it’s been heaven. I’ve had those blocked on my network for over a year, but it seems Ring has decided to implement several. I say several, because I’ve gone through each individually, disabling and testing with no success. If I turn off all 130 the app connects.

I tested this on my phone too by downloading ad tracker block and recreated the same issue over cellular. Question now is, which few are being used by Ring and why so for live view?

Ring used to work over VPN and then stopped. Now it seems it’s only partially working with ad trackers blocked. Didn’t used to be this way at all. Seems pretty shady to pay for hardware and services, then have to give in to marketing trackers too as if the dashboard ads aren’t already enough!

Sorry for the rant, but at least I’m getting closer to sorting this out and feel the community should be aware of the invasion of privacy issues with trackers. Again, it didn’t used to be this way. Live view was working perfectly till one of the recent updates!

Just for clarity, I’ve turned off everything listed as an Amazon trackers and live view still doesn’t work. With the Amazon/Ring relationship, I would have thought that was it, but it’s definitely a 3rd party tracker set that’s causing the issue.

Perhaps someone from ring would like to chime in?

1 Like

One more thing. Live View works perfectly over a browser. It’s the app that won’t work. The trackers I mentioned don’t seem to have any impact on the web interface at all. Got to wonder why then would one need trackers on the app?

1 Like

Hi @RingyDingDing. I’d be happy to see if my team can look into this further. Is this happening on the iOS version of the Ring app? If possible, try the Android version of the Ring app to see if this same concern occurs. Can you also share information on what specifically you have blocked, as well as what you’re using to block these 130 marketing and ad trackers?

Alternatively, a suggestion from my team was to use the binary logic to try and get to the bottom of what actually prevents the Ring app from connecting. For example, disable the first half of the 130 trackers then test if it works. If it works, disable half of the 75 previously disabled services and so on until it would be clear what exactly blocks the Ring app from connecting.