Ring App LIVE VIEW window closes automatically for Mac OS Catalina

Hello,

Me & my roommate just downloaded the Mac OS version of Ring and when opening the LIVE VIEW window, after abut 3-5 minutes of viewing the window automatically closes. Is this normal? We were hoping we could leave the window open so that we could view the Ring Pro’s LIVE camera feed on the desktop or switch back to it whenever we wanted.

Is this how the app is supposed to function? If so, is there a way to submit a request to view a constant live stream thru the Mac app without the app automatically closiung the LIVE FEED?

This app & function should also be added to the Apple TV and should even go as far as to interrupt the user’s viewing session (if desired) and display any LIVE rings on the screen.

2 Likes

@Spidey-Sense wrote:

Hello,

Me & my roommate just downloaded the Mac OS version of Ring and when opening the LIVE VIEW window, after abut 3-5 minutes of viewing the window automatically closes. Is this normal? We were hoping we could leave the window open so that we could view the Ring Pro’s LIVE camera feed on the desktop or switch back to it whenever we wanted.

Is this how the app is supposed to function? If so, is there a way to submit a request to view a constant live stream thru the Mac app without the app automatically closiung the LIVE FEED?

This app & function should also be added to the Apple TV and should even go as far as to interrupt the user’s viewing session (if desired) and display any LIVE rings on the screen.

Ring is not designed to be used as a permanent live view device,so it shuts down after a certain time.

1 Like

Is there any way around this or a way to do this? I imagine Im not the only one who would find this useful.

3 Likes

I think they call it a feature. :confounded:

I’d like to do this too.

Hey neighbors! As @ChrisJohn said, Ring Doorbells and Cameras are not designed to function with the Live View pulled up all of the time. After a brief period of time, the Live View will time out and disconnect. With that said, we do value our neighbors’ feedback and we’ve created aFeature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. Feel free to link that post you make in the Feature Request board here so other neighbors that come to this thread can easily find your feature! :slight_smile:

Are you saying LiveView can not be pulled all the time on a desktop device like a Mac? I can leave LiveView up for much longer on my mobile device than I can on my Mac Desktop.

That is correct, @Bar1068. Live view will automatically turn off after 10 minutes. You can then begin another live view shortly after. Check out our help center article about live view for more information. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

This is another much needed, basic feature that should be intergrated within the Ring ecosystem that will not be implemented due to the fact that Ring does not want clients live streaming multiple cameras 24/7 due to cloud storage limitations/bandwidth.

Feature Suggestion:

Change the subscription model into different tiers. Create a high-end tier charging $xxx/year to increase cloud storage capacity/bandwidth that allows multiple camera, unlimited 24/7 Live View/recording without the 10 minute live view timeout. Implement the feature/option for Ring Desktop App Live View to record/save the live view session locally instead of to the cloud.

The more I keep researching Ring the more I am realizing the Ring ecosystem has geared itself for the basic grandma grandpa, mom and pop, false sense of security type of consumers. It is obvious the Ring is not gearing itself towards the actually consumers that want a full fledge, multi camera security platform.

Between the 10min limit on the desktop Live View timeout and the huge blunder of no Live View for multiple cameras I am starting to see who the Ring ecosystem is catering towards.

Not to mention other issues that I have like there not being visible time, date and current bandwidth when viewing live view.

HOWEVER, without eliminating the 10 minute timeout when viewing live view this feature of viewing multiple cameras on desktop live view is a useless as the Ring ecosystem as an actual full fledged security system.

The main issue here is not just Rings inabilty to listen to the loyal consumer, the real issue is us the consumer buying into a closed source system thinking we have any control over our personal security.

I bought into the idea of seemless intergration with Alexa, Ring and Lutron but a DIY IP Installation is the best solution for many of us.

**My 2k+ Prime Day purchase might be headed back to Amazon. **

2 Likes

10 minute timeout?

Please, ring needs to disable this feature it kills the systems worth.

1 Like

100% agree. This is a killer for me too. It’s worthless without this feature. Just let me leave the camera on. It’s on my wifi. It’s my data. It already works when i click the button. Just leave the stupid thing on all the time. Stop trying to play big brother here. People WANT the camera to stay on continuously. Obviously.

There is no good purpose for this whatsoever.

This is a massive FAIL on the part of Ring. Live View on my Desktop (Windows) doesn’t stay open for more than 30 - 60 seconds. What if I want to monitor my back yard?

I mean come on RING. Get your act together.

This is one more reason making me regret buying into the Ring brand.

1 Like

Hi there, neighbors! I wanted to clarify further on my last response.

This is by design for the live view feature whether on a mobile device or computer. At this time, a live view can be streamed for up to 10 minutes at a time. As we always value our neighbors’ feedback, feel free to add this request on our Feature Request Board. This way other neighbors can share their interest in one place, that we can organize and share with our teams here. :slight_smile:

In my situation, I go live view, it stays open for 20 - 30 seconds then closes back to the Devices screen (Siren button, Live View button). At which point, I have to click the live view again… and again… and again… every 30 seconds… just to safely monitor the activity of my children in the back yard while also trying to work at my desk.

This is unacceptable. What is the cause? Can it be fixed? Is this typical or atypical?

2 Likes

my live view shuts off after 60 seconds. it was fine yesterday.

Same here. Dont like it.

Apparently the Feature Request board no longer exists.

"# Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private."

Ugh… returning mine… thats why i bought them