Ring App for Mac - No Sound on Live View

I’m having the same issue on my Mac app. I have sound on my recorded videos from the doorbell, but no sound from the live view. Makes it challenging to have a conversation with someone at the door if I can’t hear them but they can hear me.

Hi @RevPtd. If you are having audio issues with your Live View, it may be related to your network. This Help Center article here has some tips and tricks that can correct this by adjusting a few settings on your router. These changes should make a difference. I hope this helps!

I have tried all the same things that billbill has tried and I have no sound from my Ring 3 Plus doorbell on my 2020 iMac. I’m running macOS Big Sur Version 11.2.3. Ring app on Mac is version 2.8.2. I have uninstalled, reinstalled. The sound works fine on both mine and my wife’s iPads as well as on my iPhone XS and her iPhone 11. I know the microphone is working as when I talk to someone they can hear me and respond. I cannot hear them in live view but can hear everything that is said from both sides in the recording. This appears to be a Ring Mac app issue as all of the posts in this thread indicate this is a common problem. I have FIOS High Speed Fiber Optics Internet that is hardwired to my Mac at over 900 Mbps download and 800+ Mbps upload. WiFi speeds are well over 2-300 Mbps Down and Up. My signal strength is strong as my router is 10-12 ft from the doorbell. I have tried all of the recommended troubleshooting tactics that are suggested in this thread and the links incorporated there in.

P.S. One suggestion was to turn off Bluetooth. This is not a practical solution as my keyboard and trackpad both use Bluetooth. Turning it off renders my computer inoperable. I do use a VPN on occasion, however, it is off more than it is on. Whether connected to the VPN or not there is still no sound.

I’ve been dealing with this issue for years and do not have a fix, but I’m 99% certain (in my case) I know what the problem is: the Ring app selects the wrong audio output device. You used to be able to change it in the preferences, but it never worked, plus Ring removed it. Reseting the PRAM, reinstalling the app, creating an aggregate device, messing around with network settings won’t fix it.

I have a MacBook Pro with built-in speakers as well as a headphone jack with speakers plugged in. I’ve also got two Asus monitors connected via DisplayPort and they both have built-in speakers. Finally I have a CalDigit Thunderbolt 3 dock that has both headphone and SPDIF outputs. That’s 6 output devices. All of the audio goes through the headphone jack except the Ring app. The Ring app chooses one of the monitor’s speakers and there’s no way to change it.

I looked into disabling the monitor’s speakers, but there doesn’t appear to be a way. If I unplug the monitors, the audio works through my speakers.

So, this issue is a bug and it would be nice if Ring would fix it.

Ok, so the problem still exists but I have a solution that works. Get Loopback, and setup Ring as a loopback source, let the output channels go to the default and add a monitor that points to the same thing that the system defaults are set to.

Silly to have to do this, but it works.

@billbill and the folks at Ring: Nothing suggested on this post has worked for me at all. I have looked into the Loopback option. I don’t agree that we Mac users should have to purchase a $99 application that the Ring app should do to make the hundreds of dollars worth of Ring equipment I’ve purchased work. It works fine on my other Apple products (2 iPhones, 2 iPads, etc.). This isn’t just one person having an issue there are many people as this forum demonstrates. I think this is an issue Ring needs to provide a solution for.

Follow up post:
I have to assume that the people at Ring are either no longer monitoring this forum, or just don’t care. I have not had any response from them and there does not appear to be any updates to the app for Mac users. I love my Ring doorbell, chimes, lightbulbs, mailbox motion sensor, etc. However, I’m pretty disappointed in Ring’s lack of response to this issue. Bad form Ring!!!

1 Like

I totally agree on the need to purchase an app to solve the issue not being acceptable.
I was simply showing there was a solution that validated what barber200 was noting about the audio routing.
If I didn’t need and use loopback for other applications, I would not have been able to try to change the routing and prove their theory.

There are also free implementations out there that do what loopback does - I simply didn’t need to go digging around for them. If I recall, the opensource soundflower code is the base for loopback - again, I’d have to go digging.

It seems very odd that there isn’t an audio device selection option. My live audio comes out of the internal speakers on my closed Macbook, when all the other sound coming from all other apps is coming out of my external audio interface. Unless I’m missing something?

Looks like they stopped supporting the Mac app: Downloading and Updating the Ring App – Ring Help