Ring app does not accurately reflect battery charge

Hi neighbors. The battery percentage in the Ring app may not update immediately after you put a new battery into your Ring Doorbell or Camera. It may take a few moments, or it may update after an event is triggered, such as a motion or a Live View. If you find that the battery percentage in the Ring app is not updated at all for your Doorbell or Camera, there are some different steps you can take to narrow down the root cause.

Ensure the battery has been fully charged for about 8 hours with the provided cable. When you plug the battery in to charge it, you will see orange and green LED lights to indicate that it is charging. Once it has been fully charged, you will see only a solid green LED light. If no lights are present on the battery when you try to charge it, this could indicate an issue with the battery or the charging cable. Try a different micro USB cable if you have one, and try a different power outlet to test. If there are still no lights on the battery when charging it, you may need to replace the battery.

Another cause could be if your Ring app is not updated. If the battery appears to be charging without issue but the percentage is still showing incorrectly in the Ring app, make sure you have the latest version installed. This applies to the software that your phone is running as well, as it may not be the latest version available. Disable any VPNs you have running, as the Ring app is not compatible with VPNs and they can cause the app to not work correctly or at all.

After verifying that the battery and the Ring app are in working order, one more step you can take is to fully reset your Doorbell or Camera. Make sure to take a screenshot of your settings beforehand to reference. To reset your device, hold down the setup button for at least 20 seconds. Once the reset is complete, follow the prompts under Set Up a Device to set the Doorbell or Camera back up in the Ring app. Trigger a test event after completing the setup process, and then check the battery percentage.

If you still do not see the correct percentage after going through the information above, please follow up with our support team at one of the numbers available here so they can take a deeper look into this. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support. The Ring Community is a peer-to-peer forum where we can provide basic troubleshooting tips and tricks, but our support team can assist with more advanced concerns.

I’m getting the same problem. I had 3 Ring cams each showing one of the batteries very low. I replaced all three low batteries with freshly charged (green signal) batteries that had been charging for more than 24 hours. After replacing the batteries, there was no error signal (door still open, etc.). However, the battery levels never changed – and I kept checking for the next six hours. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting these devices to the network, replacing the Ring app with a new install, etc. and nothing worked. It’s obviously the app, since it is highly unlikely all 3 devices failed in the same way. Was there a bug introduced with the latest update that somehow fails to recognize the battery status correctly? Running latest Android on Google Pixel 7.

1 Like

I found a way to fix this problem. When I originally replaced the batteries in 3 of my devices that were showing low charge, all 3 continued to show 21%, 24% and 45% charge on my Ring app for the battery positions I had just replaced with fresh batteries. Then I wondered if the 3 corresponding batteries that were showing 100% on my app were actually at 100% (since the other battery for each set was showing the wrong values). So, what I finally did was to replace all the ‘good’ 100% batteries in each set with fresh batteries as well, and that seemed to do it. After a short while, all 3 devices then showed 100% charge on both batteries. It seems like the ‘100%’ batteries in each set were NOT at 100%, but in fact having sat in these devices had also discharged without any indication on the Ring app. When I took these ‘100%’ batteries and hooked them up to a charger, they were all clearly in need of charging. So if you have ‘100%’ batteries that have been sitting in a device for a while, try replacing them even though the app does not indicate they need to be charged. This seems to correct the battery power level indicator for both batteries. This worked, at least in my case.

It’s now June 2023 and the problem persists. The software is not working, and it has not been fixed even with multiple complaints. When one of the batteries is shown by the app to be low and is replaced by a fresh, fully charged battery, the app indicator never changes no matter what one does - waiting for 8-24 hrs, reinstalling the app, etc. This is more than an annoyance, as it does not give peace of mind when the homeowner goes on vacation, and it causes a lot of wasted time trying this and that without success. Is there any update on Ring actually fixing this bug that apparently came in with a software update over 9 months ago? It used to work fine before that.

I’m going to jump in on this thread here as opposed to starting a new one for the same exact issue.

We inherited this doorbell a couple years ago and it worked great for some time. The last 6 months at least the battery indicator usually gets locked in to a value and then goes offline when it finally dies but without warning.

Recently, it started showing a normal decline in percentage and so I charged it when it got low. Now it still says critically low and I’ve tried all the DIY fixes and this has to be a software problem.

What the heck?!

1 Like

Well the battery is showing a normal decline now. No idea how long it will keep this up or not. Very peculiar.

Hi my battery on ring doorbell 2 has been charged a few times now and never had an issue. This time it’s stuck at 23%. Been charged fully with the provided cable twice as originally I thought it mustn’t have charged properly. I have tried ringing the doorbell multiple times, held the button in for a while also and started a live. Still won’t update. Anyone know what’s going on here? Is there nothing ring can do to sort this. Like I say never happened first couple of recharges so new to me.

Well that was too good to be true. Stuck at “add battery” even after a full charge. For something we have to pay a subscription for, you’d think they could get the battery indicator right.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.