Ring Alarm Pro - Why can't I turn wifi off wifi?

Hey,

So for a long time i have wanted to get my recordings OFF of the cloud which basically means that I have been looking to sell all of my ring cameras and buy another brand because, its just not possible…and because Amazon doesn’t really understand what privacy means…

Ring, comes out with a device that allows you to record your media locally and they don’t allow you to turn off the wifi? What is the thinking behind that? Do you not understand that this is not going to fit in every customers scenario?

This may be minor to people that have one router system and to them its no issue to replace their ancient system with fancy new hardware. I have 6 access points in my home for and literally cannot afford to add a different system that will affect my performance and coverage.

Also, when recording in offline mode, is all traffic actually secure? As in is it accessible by only my family and I or does ring have access to this?

I have a perfectly good wifi system that covers my entire house and all an additional network would do is clog up additional space in an already crowded airspace.

I already have one foot out the door with ring and this is just enough for me to step out completely.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this feedback with us, neighbor. The Ring Alarm Pro is designed to be used as the primary router, or gateway for your wifi network in order to use all features available. As mentioned in our Alarm Pro Help Center article, we do not recommend using Ring Alarm Pro as a wifi extender for your existing router. However, there are some alternative configurations you can try, which are outlined here.

In regards to the local storage, learn more about Ring Edge and local storage here.

As we always value our neighbors’ feedback, feel free to add any requests on our Feature Request Board. This way other neighbors can share their interest in one place, that we can organize and share with our teams here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Alarm Pro with a built-in WiFi router needed to be a separate product. Many households already have a robust WiFi setup, even Eero where this is based on, or have built-in all-in-one modem/router/wifi units which can’t easily be replaced.

An all in one solution like this is ok for some but not all.

5 Likes

Exactly, I already have a linksys velop ax4200 system. I cannot afford a new system. And if I went with this system I would need eero access point to match most likely and waste another 300-500 dollars. Plus 250 for the alarm pro. Close to 1000 dollars. Not worth it.

And I hate the generic copy and paste replies. I wish they would stop that and just tell us what we need to hear.

Even in another thread somebody asked if they could add eero 5 mesh points to the alarm pro. The response was its not recommended to use the alarm pro as an extender because not all features will work. That is not what he was asking. He was asking if he could add other eeros to the alarm pro. Not disable the alarm pro or use it as an extender.

2 Likes

So I just got a Ring Pro alarm system to replace my 1st gen system. I had the old base station in a different room (and floor) than my main cable modem and router.

I was able to set up the Pro, but now am thinking I really do not have it connected to the rest of my network. Do i? I too assumed it was a “bridge” or “extender” to my main network. Reading this, maybe I set up a completely second network that has the same name as my main router?

1 Like

Disconnect your main router and setup this as the main router.

I definitely don’t want to do that. Like I said, my main router and cable modem are located elsewhere and are working perfectly (as they did with the old Ring alarm base station).

Maybe I really don’t need this “Pro” version if the old setup was all good. Mainly got this 8-piece pro setup for the extra keypad and sensors.

2 Likes

There is no other choice looks like. This was meant to be the star not the backup dancer. I don’t think it works any other way. A shame. They should of made one without the router and just local storage sd card. But they did not. So there is no other option apparently.

2 Likes

Since some cable providers make you use their cable modem and router for internet access, I guess Ring Pro is out for them!

I also need the Ring Alarm Pro with WiFi disabled. I have my own WiFi and backup internet for other devices however I want local recording.

1 Like

Can the WiFi network be hidden, not broadcast?

1 Like

I’m using the Pro’s WiFi. I just want to hide the SSID. Every router I have had allowed me to hide my SSID.

I didn’t want my ring alarm pro next to my cable modem. I got my SD card back up working with my primary TPlink WiFi router. I only wish I could disable the eero WiFi also.

1. Put my ring alarm pro eero WiFi into bridge mode.

2. Used a TPlink WiFi extender with a lan port to hook my primary TPlink WiFi router wirelessly to my ring alarm pro with the lan cable on my extender to the ring alarm lan port.

Everything works like it should but Like I said the only down side is not being able to disable the eero WiFi. Very sad they won’t add that for us.

Hiding SSID is really useless. Very very easy to discover…

Assuming you are not in the grandfathered Protect Plus 1st gen, you might be loosing internet backup this way plus the other eero secure features, guest access etc.

I’m in the same boat. Already have a sophisticated Wi-Fi 6 mesh network and do not want the Ring Pro broadcasting a Wi-Fi signal. I don’t like the idea of overlapping Wi-Fi signals in one location. Just wish it was a simple setting that would allow you to turn off the damn Wi-Fi. I have it set to bridge mode but I still don’t want the damn Wi-Fi broadcasting lol.

Seems dumb to not offer this for those who can’t or don’t want use the Pro as a router/modem.

2 Likes

Totally agree - we should be able to use an existing wifi network and treat the Ring Pro as a gateway to provide backup internet if necessary. It’s ridiculous they didn’t make this an option.

The Ring Alarm Pro is an Eero 6, not an Eero 6 Pro. Besides not supporting faster Wi-Fi, the hardware itself is weaker - slower CPU, half the RAM - and in my experience, it shows. Those with a Ring Alarm system likely have a lot of IoT devices and it just couldn’t handle it.

Let the Ring Alarm Pro act purely as a gateway device providing backup internet - yes we’ll lose some functionality probably, like controlling what can use the backup internet - but at least it’ll make the thing usable. Frustrating.

2 Likes

Well, this is disappointing - I was planning to convert my two SimpliSafe units. No more though - because Ring / Eero will not be able to replicate - at any cost - my existing networking. Getting an ATT Fixed Wireless Modem/Router to play dumb and passthrough traffic was hard enough - at least I can turn that WiFi off.

@ring - a bit of advice to your Amazon masters: Stop trying to be an ecosystem and force everyone to buy only your gear. Google did the same thing with Nest.

@ring - is there supported future state where your alarm system is not dependent on Amazon devices?

4 Likes

It definitely set up a replacement network for me, and devices definitely did not connect seamlessly as Ring suggested they would. It screwed up everything for about 48 hours until I erased the old network from devices, removed extenders, etc. and basically started from scratch. AND it’s still spotty.

1 Like

THIS WAS NOT SOLVED. Customer services shouldn’t be deciding they answered something sufficiently when they clearly did not.

3 Likes

THIS WAS NOT SOLVED. Customer services shouldn’t be deciding they answered something sufficiently when they clearly did not. let me disable wifi.

3 Likes