Ring Alarm Pro eero is hot & making buzzing sound

My alarm pro base station hardware is very hot and making buzzing. Called support. Took battery out for about ten minutes and it’s still hot. They had no suggestions. Other than plug into somewhere else. I told them I have no where else to plug it into. Just got it and hasn’t been a month. Has anyone else had this problem?

I’m facing the same issue. The one I have is for a rental property and I noticed it lost WiFi / mobile data connection - went there this morning and noticed the device was warmer than normal and had a humming or light buzzing sound coming from it. Did yours happen to lose mobile data as well? Just curious if that’s related to the issue.

Hi neighbors! The light buzzing sound you’re hearing could be the fan inside the Base Station, which will run when the Base Station is warm. It’s also important to keep in mind that it’s normal for electronic devices, such as your Base Station, to feel warm during operation, particularly during the summer months as the ambient temperature is warmer overall. If your Base Station is inside a cabinet or on a shelf that gets direct sunlight, this can contribute to more heat around it that needs to be cooled off via the internal fan.

With that said, we always recommend following up with our support team if you have any safety concerns regarding your Ring devices. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support. I hope this helps clear things up! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m having the same exact problem now to. just started this week like everybody else.
i have had my alarm pro since November and there has never been a problem with it.
it’s always been quite and runs cool with the fan never coming on. this week the fan that i never heard before is spinning at 100 percent making a humming sound. it sounds like a mini jet is in the room. i have already pulled the battery and it still does it.

my unit is still cool, so I don’t understand why the fan is on at all. the room the unit is in air is set to 68. it is not in any direct sunlight. besides all the unnecessary noise, this is going to burn the fans out in these units prematurely.

I really think the developers released a software update that is causing this. maybe they didn’t test it first?

if not, I guess I’ll have to start an RMA on the alarm pro base unit.

Did you find a solution here? I am experiencing the same thing. Unit is not hot at all and has never previously made noise. It suddenly started buzzing, which I’m assuming is the fan running at full speed.

The unit is cool to the touch, so I’m not sure why the fan would suddenly kick on. I tried unplugging it, switching to backup power, and moving it to a new room which made no difference.

Hi @Ring_NJ. The Alarm Pro does have an internal fan that will make a buzzing sound and will turn on when it deems it necessary. As mentioned before, if you have any safety concerns regarding your Ring devices, please give our support team a call to investigate your concerns further.

Hey folks. I think I’ve nailed down the issue. There is a design flaw which is made worse by this statement in the documentation:

* We don’t recommend wall mounting the Alarm Pro Base Station. Ring Power Packs cannot be wall mounted, and you won’t be able to use external battery backup when it is wall mounted.

You see, one of the design considerations for the use of muffin fans (do you know the muffin fan?) is that the bearing type of the fan determines the limitations on mounting orientation. The tiny cooling fan in the Alarm pro base station gets big mad if it’s face down or face up. It runs silently when it’s on its side. When the unit is wall mounted or sitting vertically oriented on a shelf, the sound of the fan is nearly inaudible.

If your alarm is driving you insane with cooling fan noise, try standing it up on its edge. The downside is that eero units are not designed to be vertically mounted, so this interferes with the design for backup batteries, but more importantly, likely alters the shape and direction of your Wi-Fi bubble and possibly alarm device reception due to antenna orientation.

I hope this helps. And hopefully the mods will point this out to the engineers. At the very least, they can switch the manufacturing and refurbishing specs to use fans with bearings that are appropriate for both horizontal and vertical mounting, or at least for horizontal mounting as recommended.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.