Ring 2 RSSI Signal Degrading After A Few Hours.

Hi, I recently purchased a Ring Video Doorbell 2. My problem is when I first connect it to my internet it works fine, strong signal and RSSI of 50 in green, video works great, sound sounds good, starts fast in live view. However over the course of a few hours the performance drops, video gets choppy, sometimes live view won’t start etc. I check the device health and the RSSI has gone up to 60-70, so I reconnect it to my internet again through the ring app and press the button on the ring. It connects and it’s working fine again, RSSI is back to 50 and everything is smooth, however after a few hours it degrades again. Does anyone know the reason for this? I am using a D-link DIR-3040 router and D-Link DAP-1820 extender, the router is not far from the front door maybe 10-15 feet and the range extender is on the other side of the wall, the signals are reported strong all green bars, I am also using smart connect in the router setup no issues with any of my other wireless devices. I also noticed there is DHCP and Static options under advanced setting during the internet setup on the ring, does that matter? I’ve read quite a few ring help articles about connections and nothing seems to be working, is it the ring device itself or my router? is there any router or other settings I can try? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hey there, @Darkshack! Your RSSI will update every so often to give you an updated signal strength for your device. This can lead to the reading varying from time to time. To see if it help first, you may want to reboot your router to see if this impacts your device’s health for the long haul.

In addition, reach out to your Internet service provider to inquire about your speeds and make sure they are able to support 2 Mbps download and upload. If you continue to have this concern, please contact our support team at 1-800-656-1918!

I’ve actully seemed to have solved my problem some what and it turned out it was pretty easy after trying what i thought was everything in all the guides i could find. I took out the extender and moved the router to the other side of the living room closer to the front door and i also turned on the Guest Wi-Fi on my router and hooked the doorbell up to that connection so its the only device using it, now everything seems way more stable, the camera doesent drop connection anymore and live stream and alerts are way faster. The audio still isn’t that great and the RSSI is still between 58-61, it started out at 52 but everytime it updates the RSSI it seems to go up, but as long as its working it’s fine. Also i have turned everything off and low to try and get the maximum battery life (HDR off, screen capture off, motion detect set on light and motion zones to only one instead of 3 (2 zones are off) and the battery still only lasts maybe 3 or 4 days, i don’t get that many alerts maybe 5-10 a day, i picked up another battery pack so ill always have one charged and can just swap and not have to wait to charge but is there anything i can try to make the battery last longer? i’ve read its suppose to last up to 6 months, and i can’t get mine to last a week. Thanks.

Hey @Darkshack! I’m so glad you were able to get that sorted out, that’s great news. The battery life can vary based off of events, connection, how many times live view is accessed, and other things you’ve already mentioned turning off. I would see how the new battery holds up. If this new battery also has that same turn of events of only lasting a week or two, please definitely give our support team a call so they can look into your device more deeply!

I just put the new battery in this morning after charging it overnight, i’ve had around 5 live views and 10 motion detects and it still says 100% with the battery included it would have been down to 85% or less with that much activity so i will see how long it lasts, if it lasts alot longer is it possible the battery included could be defective? Thanks.

Hiya @Darkshack. It is possible, but in order for it to be deemed defective, you’ll have to reach out to our support team for that. In most cases, when a device is deemed defective, they can offer a replacement if it’s covered under warranty. Really happy to hear that the second battery seems to be holding up a lot better though! :smiley_cat:

alright sounds good, either way ill contact support, if this new battery hold ups way better than the included one then ill see if it’s defective, if it turns out to last around the same amount of time i will see if they can figure it out. Thanks for your help!

2 Likes