Ring 2 How to adjust motion distance

Hello every one.

I got this Ring doorbell 2, i did not find a way to adjust motion distance, i want to adjust the distance to 10 feet max.

I don’t see an adjustable slider after i turn On/Off my motion zones.

When i click on edit motion zones the window will go to full screen and the only option i see is to turn On/Off the zones, nothing else.

Did they disable this option in the last ring doorbell app update?

Thanks for any help

I have the same issue. I can’t adjust zones of non-advanced motion detection. It seems to be fixed at maximum distance. It records every time a car passes by and drains the battery fast.
The advanced motion detection doesn’t work better in my case. Please fix the issue asap.

1 Like

Hi neighbors! Would you mind sharing some screenshots of what options you see when you’re editing your Motion Zones? You should see a screen where you can edit the zones themselves, as well as a screen with a sensitivity slider.

Please see the attached image file, “Edit_Motion_Zones.jpg”. The “Edit Motion Zones” screen does NOT offer any “editing” of the six (6) zones displayed: you can only turn them on or off with a button labeled “ON” or “OFF” at the bottom of each zone. Within each zone is blue highlighting that looks like it might reflect the motion sensitivity within the zone, but there is no way to modify it up or down. Worse, when I turn off and back on a zone, the blue highlighting for that zone shrinks down to a minimum height and stays there. Also, turning off and back on a zone frequently (but not always) causes the blue highlighting in the NEXT adjacent zone to jump up to a higher level, as if that zone is now more sensitive to motion. The per-zone blue highlighting also jumps around a lot if you close out the app and then re-launch. The image shows different blue highlighting levels, but I did not set them that way. I suspect that your app has serious software bugs in this area. The Min/Max slider for motion detection sensitivity on the “Motion Sensitivity” page affects all zones at once. There appears to be no way to adjust per-zone sensitivity, and the blue highlighting on the “Edit Motion Zones” display appears to be completely independent of the slider setting. Ring does not appear to publish a manual or walkthrough on the “help” page that discusses any of this configuration in any useful detail. The help article for motion sensitivity gets right up to the point where it should provide useful information, and then says, “The app will walk you through it,” which, of course, it does NOT do.

Hi @car377. The reason you have the six motion zones that you’re seeing is because you have Advanced Motion Detection toggled off. You can see how to toggle this on in our Help Center Article here. Regarding the six motion zones that you’re seeing, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here and let them know that you are seeing six motion zones so they can track this and troubleshoot it appropriately. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

My device is video doorbell 2 equipped with PIR. When motion is detected by PIR of enabled zone, it starts recording. This is how it works before advanced motion detection is available on it. I had tried advanced motion but it doesn’t work better than original way. It was disabled because I believe it consumes more power which is crucial to battery operated device.
Until probably months ago I can always drag the zone nearer or farer to include monitoring areas while avoiding traffic of busy street. Now it’s locked at maximum distance and the busy street is included in zones. Though people only mode reduces alerts, it records every motion it detected and the battery is drained SEVERAL TIMES FASTER. It really frustrates me.

I do NOT have Advanced Motion Detection toggled off - I checked it on the “Advanced Settings” screen, and it shows “On”. However, if it was toggled off, the help article you provided does NOT tell me how to toggle it on. It just says that it needs to be enabled, but provides no instructions for doing that. It’s the omission of the most basic stuff like this that makes working with this app and your help documentation so frustrating. I tried to set up customizable motion zones, and after laboriously working my way through the wizard screens to do that, when I try to save the configuration, I get a pop-up that says “Something went wrong. Try again.” I always get that result, no matter how many times I try again.

Hi @tochi. Thanks for sharing your feedback. When tapping on the Motion Settings from your Doorbell’s device profile page, you should see a Motion Sensitivity option. Tap this and you’ll have a motion sensitivity slider that you can adjust to control how sensitive the motion detection on your Doorbell is. I hope that helps! :slight_smile:

Those are two different settings. I want 0 sensitivity in street and 100 sensitivity in my selected range. Can I do that?
Please just give me back the way it was working before.

@tochi There is not currently an option to allow you to adjust the sensitivity of each Motion Zone individually. The motion sensitivity will apply to all of the zones you have set. As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. Feel free to link that post you make in the Feature Request board here so other neighbors that come to this thread can easily find your feature! :slight_smile:

I am not requesting a new feature. I just want the removed feature back. The essential feature that is descried in the manual comes with the product.
Improvement should make products better. The recent update crippled the products instead.