Ring 2 Doorbell will not reconnect after power-cut

I have a Ring 2nd Gen battery powered doorbell.

Yesterday I had a power cut which resulted in the device losing connection to the wi-fi, and a day later it has still not reconnected.

I have gone through the process of trying to re-connect via the instructions on the app - press the orange button, search for my network, re-enter password but the device will not connect.

The device then flashes white and tells me “hmmm sometime these things happen etc…Try again”

I tried again still nothing. It implies that there may be something wrong with my internet connection, but there isnt. I have also restarted my router and tried the process again, and also turned off the VPN and the exact same thing happens…IT won’t reconnect.

My other devices in the house reconnect fine, including the phone I use (Android OS) for the Ring App.

This leads me to believe that there is something wrong with the Doorbell itself

Any help appreciated

Hi @Gilln1. Is there a specific direction that the white light is flashing when you get the error? This will tell me the error that the Doorbell is having. You can also try performing a reset on the Doorbell. You can do this by pressing and holding the orange setup button for 20 seconds, then releasing it. Once that is complete, you can attempt the setup again. Let me know if this helps.

1 Like

Hi Tom it flashes to the left but still nothing happened after I followed the prompts.

However, about 24hrs after I posted this it then suddenly connected again to the wi-fi… I hadnt done anything else to the device.

This same thing also happened recently when AWS had their network outage. So for some reason the device seems to take approx 36hrs to connect to the wi-fi if there is a disconnect…very strange.

The device is still within the period where I can return it so I am inclined to perhaps do that and request a replacement…unless you have any thoughts on why the device may do this

Hi @Gilln1. This may have been caused by some type of wireless interference. Things like wireless printers or even having bluetooth devices nearby can cause issues during setup. When this happens, it’s best to try an isolate the device as best possible and attempt to reconnect. You can try to connect the device to a wifi hotspot to rule out any network concerns. Also, be sure that the Doorbell is as close to your internet router as possible for setup to eliminate any distance issues.

1 Like

Hi Tom

There is a wireless printer in the same room as the router and the Ring device (when I had taken it off the wall after it disconnected) so maybe it due to that as you say.

Next time I will turn off the printer and see if that does the trick.

Thanks for your help

1 Like

Hey @Gilln1. Absolutely! Hopefully you won’t have to worry about that moving forward.

1 Like

Hi Tom

Well, once again I have the same predicament. Over the last few weeks I have had to restart my wifi and thankfully, and amazingly the doorbell reconnected. Last night though I restarted my router again and almost 20 hours later the doorbell has not reconnected, and that is after trying a second time to restart the router. It is currently sitting about 5ft away from the router (it was even closer than that a while ago), inside the house, and there is no wireless printer switched on.

I have pressed the orange button for 20 secs and now the doorbell has a clockwise spinning white light and has been doing that for around 5 minutes now. No audio prompts, no alerts on the app…nothing.

I have to assume there is something wrong with the device, every other wireless piece of equipment in the house reconnects when need…not this Ring device, and it is very frustrating. It is now passed the time I can return it on Amazon. I assume there is some sort of warranty so I can have it returned and replaced without charge?

As an update, I have just tried some troubleshooting of my own. I’ve done a full reset and turned off all the antivirus / security option on my phone (the vpn was already off). I use McAfee and with everything turned off I have been able to re-install the device (basically start all over again) and it has connected…so lets see if this works better.

Hi @Gilln1. There is a list of apps that can conflict with the Ring app. If you have any of these installed on your phone, it is possible that it is contributing to the problem. You can find that list in this Help Center article here. If you continue to have this issue, I suggest reaching out to our support team so they can go over a few settings in your network and see if they can narrow down why this is continuing to happen. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

Hi Tom
Well, its happened again ! Restarted the wifi…twice today now actually, and the doorbell will not reconnect to the wifi, but every other wireless device has
I have none of the apps mentioned on the list that might cause a problem, so I thought I would call the support team. I explained the problem the lady went through the obvious way of reconnecting through app, which we know doesn’t work. She then went away for a couple of minutes, came back and advised me that the only way to reconnect is to take it off the wall and do a full restart because “thats what happens with some of the battery powered ones” her words not mine. Which lets be honest, that’s not how they should work at all. I think basically the support team didnt have an answer and didnt even offer any advice. Not the lady on the phones fault but at the end of the day this device does not work as it should…time to send it back which is a disappointment

For any neighbors experiencing a similar concern with your Doorbell or Security Camera not automatically reconnecting to wifi after a power or wifi outage, please try the following troubleshooting steps:

• Reconnect your Doorbell or Security Camera to wifi manually.
  • If you’re unable to reconnect your device to wifi manually, reset your Doorbell or Security Camera by holding down the setup button for at least 20 seconds. After the reset is complete, set your device back up in the Ring app using the steps under Set Up a Device.
  • Check the RSSI on the Device Health page to determine if your Doorbell or Camera is receiving a strong signal. A high RSSI can indicate an unstable connection, making it harder for your device to automatically reconnect to wifi after a temporary outage.
  • If the RSSI indicates a weak connection, try moving your router closer to your Doorbell or Camera. You can use a Chime Pro or a wifi extender of your choosing to improve the signal your Ring device is receiving if you’re unable to move the router closer.

If these steps don’t help, our support team can take a deeper dive to see what the cause may be. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.