Retrofit kit showing empty zone as open

I installed the kit easily enough, but I left Zone 1 open to parallel the prewired alarm panel zones in case I ever want to return to it or wire before a move.

Yet, zone 1 shows open/ready to test, 2-5 show closed/enabled (correctly) and 6-8 are grayed out (correctly). Note: I accidentally plugged my zone 2 into zone 1, then moved it to 2.

A) does this mean you can’t skip zones? Is it “the used zones and all before it must be active”? Like if I only used 1 and 3, would 2 show “open”?

B) Can I “clear” a zone or somehow remove it from my alarm?

C) if I arm the alarm, will it sound because zone 1 reads as open?

I haven’t found any options and resetting the kit seems to keep failing. Or am I fine because it’s only “ready to test” instead of “enabled”?

Thanks!

Hi @Schnerf. This and more can be found through the links in our Community post (https://community.ring.com/t5/Ring-Alarm/Ring-RetroFit-Kit-Helpful-Tips/m-p/6722) about the Alarm Retrofit Kit. If you are unable to find the exact solution, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. They’ll be able to pull up your account and take a closer look. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I had this question too, and it seems the answer is “you can remove the zone”

From the PDF:

Removing a zone. If you need to remove a wired zone from your Retrofit Alarm Kit, simply open the app tap on the Menu, tap Devices, tap Alarm Base Station, and tap Retrofit Alarm Kit. Tap the zone you wish to remove, and you’ll be prompted to Reset your device screen. After you complete the reset and confirm, your zone will read Ready to Test. Simply remove the wires from the Retrofit Alarm Kit, and the zone will be removed.

Otherwise, my assumption is that there’s a resistor which could be added that would convince the panel that zone was happy/closed.

My Retrofit Kit was installed Jan. 2020 with Zones #1-6 connected to hardwired sensors and nothing connected to Zones #7 & #8 and ran trouble free until now (Jan 2021). What has started happening is that the unconnected zones #7 & #8 randomly switch from grayed out “Available” to “Open” & “Testing your connection”. When these zones change status I also get a Chirp tone from the Base Station. I am unable to reset because there is no Zone reset shown on the unconnected zones, only the connected zones #1-#6. Ontech Services (Ring National Installer) did a complete uninstall/reinstall of the Retrofit Kit to clear the false unconnected zones. However 2 days after reset the unconnected zones are again changing status. Awaiting Ontech return. *Note: The only change made in the Ring System in the past year was the installation of a Ring 2nd Gen Stick-Up outdoor camera several days before the first instance of unconnected zones changing status/chiming. I’ve been told it’s not related but I’m still suspicious because of the timing.

Schnert, was wondering if you found any solutions. I have the exact same issue with a Ready to test zone that I would like to clear. I even got a open/closed chirp on this zone at 2 am this morning. thanks!

We just had an empty zone set off an alarm as “open”

Hi @LobanFamily. As mentioned by @Caitlyn_Ring, if you have reviewed the tips in our Community post for the Retrofit Kit and cannot find a solution, give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here for further assistance. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

Ring Team,

Why isn’t there an easy way to DELETE unused zones?

I currently have Zone 7 & 8 unused but previously tested a wire in Zone 7, now it is stuck saying “Zone 7 is open” without anything plugged into and no plans to use it. A sensor never made contact so i can’t reset the Zone. It should easy to remove but it isn’t. Why not?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.