Ring Video Doorbell

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Rings wired and battery doorbell.
U
Replace Video Doorbell 2 (hardwired) with Video Doorbell Pro 2 (hardwired)
hardwired-video-doorbell
pre-purchase-question

Hi, I want to replace my Ring doorbell. My current setup:

• Video Doorbell 2 hardwired
  • Chime Pro (1st gen)
  • Comatec transformer - IN: 230VAC, OUT: 4…12VAC/24VA, 3TE

I would be happy if you could help me answer the following questions:

• Will the existing transformer be sufficient? If not, what would I need and would simply replacing the transformer by an electrician be sufficient, or would it require any other changes to the existing wiring etc.?
  • My existing Video Doorbell 2 uses a “corner kit”. Will I need to buy this as an extra for the Doorbell Pro 2?
  • I am not too keen of adding new holes to the outside wall. I saw there is a “Pro Retro-Adapter”, but it seems not to be available?
  • I like the sleek design of the Doorbell Pro 2. But now there is also the Battery Video Doorbell Pro, which seems to be newer (alas with a battery hence same style as my old doorbell). I saw, for example, that the Battery Video Doorbell Pro supports newer WiFi protocols (ax). Are there other advantages of getting the Battery Video Doorbell Pro instead of the older non-battery version, even though I know that I want to hardwire the bell? Is it perhaps just easier (use existing wiring and transformer for trickle charge) to go with the newer Battery Pro in my case?
  • Anything else I should be aware of when replacing my old Ring doorbell?

Thanks for your help!
Alex

01-04-2024 09:22:16

Responses (2)

J

Hi @user80075. I will answer your questions in the order you asked them.

• It seems like it should be; if not, the Wired Doorbell Pro requires a XXXX VAC/24V DC, 10-40VA max, 50/60Hz transformer.

• The Wired Doorbell Pro will include a Corner Kit in the packaging.

• You are referring to the Retrofit Kit. It depends on the region you are in for availability. Which region are you located in?

• I would say there is no other advantage.

• If you have a pre-existing chime, I recommend checking this page to make sure its compatible with the Wired Doorbell Pro.

03-04-2024 06:35:20

U

Hey Justin, thanks for your help. Much appreciated!

• “the Wired Doorbell Pro requires a XXXX VAC/24V DC, 10-40VA max, 50/60Hz transformer” - since my current transformer only offers 4…12VAC/24VA, I assume it will be necessary to replace it. If I am not mistaken, I don’t have to purchase one before the electrician comes to replace the bell since the Doorbell Pro 2 package includes a transformator (2. Gen., 24 VDC, 0,42 A).

• German market: Pro Retro-Adaptersatz (Videotürklingel Pro Kabel (Video Doorbell Pro 2 – Ring It’s been “unavailable” for quite some time. (same for quite a few of faceplates which show as unavailable: Austauschbare Blende – Ring)

• the pre-existing chime was disconnected when we installed the Doorbell 2.

Thanks again!!

04-04-2024 09:29:39

C

Hi @user80075. Yes, you are correct that you’ll need to replace the transformer with one that meets those power requirements. If the package you’re purchasing from Ring.com includes the transformer, that will be sufficient. The Retrofit Kit for the Doorbell Pro 2 is temporarily unavailable and we don’t have any information on when it may be available again, so you may need to drill new holes for the installation process. Other than that, you should be good to go as long as the installation instructions in the app are followed. Let us know if you have any other questions! :slight_smile:

05-04-2024 06:56:56

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User