Regular Charing of my video doorbell

Hi
I am finding I need to charge the battery on my doorbell on average every 4-6 weeks. I have motion frequency set to “Light”, and I also have the device set to detect “People Only”. Doorbell is set up at my back door, facing into my back garden. The only motion in this area is from family members. I fear, as we head into the winter months, with much less daylight hours, I may need to charge my dooyevey couple of weeks. I have a solar device connected, but it doesn’t appear to be helping extend the battery life. My sister lives in Dublin, she also had a Ring doorbell, and it lasts up to 3 months before recharge. Her doorbell is front facing, onto a busy street. Please help me.

Hi @LeoMurray. On average, our Ring Video Doorbells can have around 800 events on a fully charged battery. How ever long it takes to get those 800 (give or take) recordings will be the time in between battery charges. If you are having more than 35 events per day, this could cause your Solar Panel to not be able to “keep up” with charging your Doorbell, as it provides only a trickle charge and not a rapid charge.

Last things is want want to make sure your Doorbell is registering that the Solar Panel is charging. You can check this in the Ring App by selecting- Menu > Devices > (Ring Doorbell) > Device Health and it will be under the Power Section. If the connection is not established, you’ll need to look at the connections on the back of the device and make sure they are properly seated. Then, reset the device by holding the Setup Button for 20 seconds and reconnecting it to wifi by following the setups outlined in this Help Center article here.

If you are still experiencing charging issues, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Hi

Thanks for your help. When I check device health, sometimes it shows solar status as “Connected”, alternatively, it shows “Extend Battery Life with a Ring Solar Charger, as pet attached screenshot.

Thanks
Leo

Hi @LeoMurray. Thank you for following up with this concern! I would contact our support team so they can look at the history of your device to see the consistency of the Solar Charging status. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Let us know how this works!