reduction in motion distance

Two days ago Mode Settings was added to menu. My camera now has a limited motion distance. It will no longer pick up motion on the street. I have full view but now doesn’t pick up anything on the street which Is what I need for security. The menu to control three zones is also eliminated. Very disappointed. Only thing I can pick up is down to the end of my driveway. Useless. I have tried ALL SETTINGS.

1 Like

Hi @cak47. Which kind of Camera do you have? Depending on the type of camera you have will depend on the kind of motion settings can change. Could you also please attach a screenshot of where you’re no longer able to see how to change the motion zones?

I have a basic Ring Doorbell and noticed the same issue. I have a restraining order on someone and saw them leaving them neighborhood as I was coming in. I’d like my camera to be able to pick up street traffic so I can’t take this to authorities. Please go back to how it was!

Hi @jackib! The motion sensors in your Ring Video Doorbell are designed to detect motion up to 160 degrees horizontally and from five to 30 feet outward from the fixture. They’re also more sensitive to horizontal movement across the detection area than vertical. Mount the Ring Doorbell too high and you’re more likely to catch the heat of passing cars than the heat of incoming visitors. As long as the mounting height is 48 inches off the ground, you should obtain the optimal distance of 30 feet.

Movement beyond 30 feet is not likely to capture unless it is a large heat signature such as a vehicle. Check out our help center article about motion zones for more information on fine tuning detection. If you are worried about monitoring areas of your property that are not visible from the entry way, or are too far, check out our Camera devices at Ring.com! :slight_smile: