Ring Video Doorbell

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Rings wired and battery doorbell.
J
Recording Answered Motion
hardwired-video-doorbell
battery-video-doorbell
troubleshooting
motion-settings
I've got a Ring Pro doorbell installed and set up. I've got motion alerts set up as well as the ring alerts, but I've noticed it doesn't record motion when it's answered. There are several people/phones who have access to the doorbell, so if even one person answers it, nobody else can look back to see who or what it was. And of course for security purposes, it would be nice if that could be set. I don't see any options in the settings. Is it possible to still record motion alerts? Or would we need to get in the habit of not checking the notification for 30 seconds??

25-01-2020 03:29:28

Responses (4)

C
Hi @Justin\_Flowers, are you subscribed to a Ring Protect Plan? With an active subscription for your device, all events are automatically recorded and saved to your cloud storage. From there, all events should be accessible by looking into the event history. This means that any motion event, ding event, or accessing the Live View when there is no alert is recorded and stored, no matter if the event was answered or not. The only way for an event to not be stored is if the event is deleted from the event history or there is no active subscription.

28-01-2020 07:09:23

J
Chelsea, Thank you. I had seen that there were protection plans but honestly never looked into them or considered them. I will consider doing so, thank you for sharing that with me.

04-02-2020 05:07:10

J
This still does not address the issue. I have a protect plan and the same thing happens to me. If there is a motion alert and I answer it, it immediately stops recording. So if I take 10 seconds to answer it then there is only 10 seconds of video recorded. The rest does not go into another recording or anywhere else. What is worse, when I answer it, it will only play that 10 seconds of video. It is impossible to ever see what happens after I answer a motion.

25-09-2020 08:10:38

C
I get the same issue sometimes. It just happened now, I'm at work and my girlfriend is home, the door went, I pressed to open the notification then closed it immediately. I thought it was just the Royal Mail so I ignored it, then got a DHL Delivered text. I opened the ring app and the motion event for the DHL van driving up is there, and there is a thumbnail of the DHL man at the door, but no "answered ring" activity to even anything to show the doorbell was pressed... I cant find the video of the man in the thumbnail anywhere... It's worth noting that this doesn't always happen, most of the time it saves, but I've had a few "answered" rings that don't save the event/video Edit: the video is typically now there ;) maybe impatience is my issue!

30-12-2020 09:52:52

A
Same here. If you answer the motion recording stops. It should continue to record for the allotted time. Maybe I see it's someone I don't want to deal with at the moment, but now I can't see what happens after I shift apps, which isn't a good design

27-12-2022 08:43:34

C
Hey neighbors, I'm happy to step in and clarify. As Chelsea mentioned, a Ring Protect Plan is required in order to view videos of events in the Event History. You can learn more about the features provided by a Ring Protect Plan [here](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001671383-General-Information-on-Ring-Protect-Subscription-Plans). Please also keep in mind that your Ring Doorbell or Security Camera may take a few moments to process the video after recording an event or a Live View. When you tap on the notification that motion has been detected at your Doorbell or Camera, this will initiate a Live View. When you end that Live View, the recording will stop. Once your Doorbell or Camera detects motion again or a new Live View is activated, it will start recording again.

28-12-2022 07:02:40

B
I have the monthly plan, and still when answered motion, the video stops recording from the moment it is seen live. Even after a day, the saved event remains the same. What's up with this?!? Can someone at Ring please provide a response?

27-02-2023 06:01:49

J
Hi @BDub910. If your Ring Doorbell is not recording properly, try the following steps: - Verify your phone and Ring app are up to date with the latest updates. - [Reboot your Doorbell using the Ring app](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/7438395032980-How-to-Reboot-your-Ring-Doorbell-or-Security-Camera-from-the-Ring-App-). - Reboot your router by unplugging it for few seconds and plugging it back in. - Verify your Doorbells [signal strength, also known as RSSI, is at a good level](https://community.ring.com/t/how-it-works-your-ring-device-rssi-good-vs-poor/229). - Disable any active VPNs. If you have tried these steps and are still having the same concern, give our support team a call at one of the numbers available [here](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/213608406) for further assistance. If you are outside of the US, please visit [here ](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/213608406)to see how to contact support.

28-02-2023 06:12:30

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User