Really confused... hardwire ring 3

Hi, I have a ring 3 and have been using it on battery only but i appear to be charging all the time. I wanted to hardwire (and the box says battery or hardwired) but Im a little confused. So after watching videos etc, am i right in that it can only be hardwired if you have an existing door bell. If you dont you need to install a transformer with specific specifications. But ring doesnt sell the transformer? So where do i buy one for australian use. I see they sell a plug in power option, but how are people using this if the doorbell is external and your powerpoint is obviously going to be inside the house.

Hi @bonners. If you don’t have an existing doorbell but would like to hardwire your Ring Video Doorbell 3, you can directly connect your Doorbell to a low voltage 8-24V AC transformer. While we don’t have a transformer available on our website, you can use your own as long as it meets those power requirements. With this installation, do not use a diode or a resistor. We also recommend having a qualified electrician install the transformer and wire the Doorbell to it.

Another option you have, as you mentioned, is to use the Plug-In Adapter to supply consistent power to your Doorbell. The Plug-In Adapter has built-in short-circuit protection and connects to standard indoor electrical sockets. You can try searching the Community to see how other neighbors have installed their Doorbell using the Plug-In Adapter to see if it would work for your home. I hope this information helps! :slight_smile: