Rapidring app won’t connect over cellular on iPhone (iOS 14.2)

I have a Spotlight Cam wired. If I get a notification from Rapidring on my iPhone SE 2020 or my wife’s iPhone 8Plus, I can view video quickly and perfectly over Home wifi with the Rapidring app but it never establishes a connection when away from the home, or even in the home using 4G cellular (i.e not connected to wifi). The camera has good wifi (RSSI -37), the Wifi Mesh Extender is almost underneath the camera with a wooden wall in between (very close), the bandwidth readings for the camera are d/l 42Mbps and u/l 4Mbps.
Why won’t Rapidring connect when away from home on 4G cellular?
I have uninstalled/reinstalled the app to no effect.

Hi there, @Bjay51! The best next step will be to ensure there is not a vpn enabled when you are away from home. The wifi connection in your home sounds plenty sufficient for the Ring devices to operate as intended. As this only happens when away from home and using cellular data, please check with your data provider to ensure they allow streaming. Try also testing another mobile device on cell data to see if this is device specific. If this concern persists, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Hi @Marley_Ring.
I do have a type of VPN enabled via Trend Micro Maximum Security. However, this runs all the time, even when using Rapid Ring over wifi. As for my data provider (Telstra in Australia) it may be possible that they are involved as I recently changed to a new router/modem with them to connect to the Australian National Broadband Network (NBN). But I have no issue streaming Youtube videos or Netflix to my phone when using cellular so streaming doesn’t seem to be an issue, if that was what you meant. I have tested with my wife’s iPhone 8 Plus and got the same result.
I am running V1.19.0.2 of the iPhone Rapid Ring App.

Thank you for this update, @Bjay51! In regards to the VPN, here is our help center article about VPNs and the Ring app for more information as to why we advise against using them together. With this happening on multiple mobile devices using the same cellular plan or connections, your observation about the network handoff may be correct. I’ve seen neighbors share a similar scenario in the past, where their provider might change and mobile device APN or network settings must be changed. This would be an advanced solution and might be best performed with our support team, or even with your provider’s support team. You’ve covered all the best steps, and surprisingly to no avail, which may be an indicator that a more in-depth look is necessary. Feel free to start with our support team, as they will either have a solution or be able to point you in the best direction.

Hi. I have the same problem. Rapid Ring cannot access my devices via mobile data but works fine on wifi.

And the main Ring app will work over mobile networks as well as via wifi.

So, it’s not a network problem but rather something with the Rapid Ring app.

And yes, mobile data is turned on for the Rapid Ring app.
Thanks.

I have the same issue. No VPN but the Rapid ring app wont connect when on cell data coverage, but does on WiFi, but the normal ring app works fine…

Any idea what the issue is?

Hey neighbors. Here is something you can try. In you phones settings, check to see if you are using IPv6. If you are, try changing this to IPv4. The procedure on how to do this will vary depending on what phone you are using so I suggest putting this information in a search engine or contacting your phone provider. Let me know if this helps!

The normal App works. why doesn’t Ring just use the same methods in both apps. Obviously the Normal app method as it works.