Rapid Ring on iOS Weak Connection

I am noticing a lot of connectivity issues on the Rapid Ring app only on iOS. I have it running on multiple different Apple devices and all have the same issue (iphone X, iphone 7 and iPad Air). All on the latest firmware and running the latest app versions too.

I **do not ** have this issue on an android phone so this is only on ios devices.

The issue is that when you view a live stream on the rapid ring app (whether in response to an alert or whether its self initiated) I constantly get weak signal messages and very choppy video. Often with a big green sections on the screen.

The actuall recording is never impacted and you can go back and view the recording afterwards and it is flawless, so this is just an issue with playing the live video on the RR app.

I have seen a few other posts about this so I know im not the only one. Is anyone from Ring doing anything about this?

1 Like

Hey @urfankhaliq. I’d be happy to look into this for you and take a closer look at the differences you’re seeing. To start, can you please take a screen recording of the Live View through the Rapid Ring App on both iOS and Android? You can trigger a test event by walking in front of your Ring to trigger the motion detection and then answering the notification on both devices.

Once you have the screen recordings, please share them here. When attaching this video, you will need to compress the MP4 file into a ZIP file, as ZIP files can be attached to your reply and not MP4s. In addition, you can upload this video elsewhere, such as Youtube, and then share the link to the video in your reply. This will let me get a better idea of what you’re seeing on your end so I can share it with the appropriate teams as well. :slight_smile:

Hi Caitlyn. I contacted Ring via Twitter and they advised me to call in so did that the other day to report this issue. Can you get the info from there at all?

@urfankhaliq Thanks for letting me know! I’m glad to hear you were able to get in touch with our support team to report the concern. If you have any additional questions about this, I’d definitely recommend following up with our support team as they’ll have a record from when you initially reached out. :slight_smile:

I get the weak connection a lot with the Rapid Ring app. If I open in the full app it doesn’t give me the same issue. I have very strong WiFi signal strenght. I have several images from both the Rapid Ring and the full Ring app, but I guess I can only attach one image. I’m attaching the one from the Rapid Ring that says weak signal. Right after I took this I opened the full app and did live view and it connected without an issue. The signal strength of this camera is RSSI -56, so I have to think the issue is with the app. Rapid Ring doesn’t always do this. I’d say it does this about 25% of the time. The other 75% of the time the app works great. Also, this image is a extreme. Often the green blocked out area will only be about 10% of the image and it often goes away and the connection is established. I’m on iOS 13.5.1 and have the latest update for Rapid Ring.

I’ve not heard back from ring support on this after I rang in and opened a case. Can anyone from ring help?

@urfankhaliq Since you were already in touch with our support team regarding this matter, you’ll want to touch base with them again for any applicable updates. You can give them a call at one of the numbers availablehere. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile: