Rapid Ring App suddenly has "weak connection issues"

I installed the Rapid Ring app about a month ago because of the pinch-to-zoom fiasco with the main Ring app.

For a few weeks the Rapid Ring app worked great, I even turned off the notifications on the main app because I was so happy with how quickly Rapid Ring launched and showed me the live view of my cameras.

Now, for the past couple of weeks the Rapid Ring app is becoming more and more unusable. I am suddenly getting “Weak connection is causing video issues” on all my cameras.

Nothing with my hardware or network has changed and I have a green RSSI status on all of my cameras. I have no video quality issues with the regular Ring app, just the Rapid Ring app.

Is anyone else having this problem? I’m on an iPhone (v13.3.1) and i’m on v1.6.1 (1.6.1.0) of the Rapid Ring app.

Have you tried uninstalling the app, rebooting your phone and then reinstalling the app yet?

1 Like

Hey @iain_b, do you get this weak connection error when you are away from home trying to view the Live View, or also when you are home and connected to your home wifi? Sometimes the network you are connected to, such as a work wifi network, could have been updated with new restrictions that don’t allow the Live View to connect easily. If this is not the case, please try removing the Rapid Ring app from your phone, rebooting your phone (turn it off/on) and then redownload the app to see if this helps as well!

1 Like

This continues to happen to me on the rapid ring app, a red banner comes up at the top of live view with the weak connection issue. I have deleted the app and reinstalled no change. The noraml ring app works like a treat a whole lot better than rapid ring (rapid ring was working perfectly before better than the normal ring app).

This happens regardless of being on wifi at home or outdoors or even when on mobile data.

I am sure its down to a recent update on the IOS app.

I am experiencing the exact same issue. RSSI green but red banner in rapid ring. I have tried on my iPhone and IPad. Both devices with same issue.

Hi,

I believe this is due to an iOS update or Ring app update - I also noticed the red banner with “Weak Connection” across all cameras (even hard wired) in the last few weeks.

At first I put it down to a temporary issue - but now I am convinced that it’s something to do with either an iOS update or Rapid Ring app update.

I have tested Rapid Ring on a number of different Samsung (Android) tablets - and I haven’t had any issues. I have also tested the Ring app on Windows 10 , again this works fine.

Using iOS 13.3.1 (tested on iPhone X and 11 pro Max) - weak connection

Rapid Ring 1.6.2.0

No issues using Android tablets 8.1.0

Wi-fi

Pro Doorbell

1 x Floodlight Cam

2 x Spotlight Cam

Hardwired

Stick up Cam Power over Ethernet.

1 Like

Same issues. Is Ring going to address this?

Hi,

I passed all the info onto Nicholas at Ring higher tech support. He called me and we did further testing. He has passed the relevant info on to the app developers.

Hopefully there’s a solution soon.

1 Like

@Techem wrote:

Hi,

I passed all the info onto Nicholas at Ring higher tech support. He called me and we did further testing. He has passed the relevant info on to the app developers.

Hopefully there’s a solution soon.

There was an IOS update yesterday (11th), i thought this would sort the issues out, but for me this did not as i still get the “weak connection” issue.

I have even got Ubiquiti (My Internet Networking provider) Technical Support investigating this so i can rule out my home network as an issue. Even though i still get the same issue on mobile data and other wifi hotspots :mansad:

I have partially your issue. After the update I don’t have anymore the weak signal message if I am checking the ring remotely (cellular or a wifi different from my own). It is very bad or not working at all when I am on my own network. The regular app connects better (not great though). I think is the known problem with Ring and Orbi mesh routers. What router do you have?

@Lorenzom76 wrote:
I have partially your issue. After the update I don’t have anymore the weak signal message if I am checking the ring remotely (cellular or a wifi different from my own). It is very bad or not working at all when I am on my own network. The regular app connects better (not great though). I think is the known problem with Ring and Orbi mesh routers. What router do you have?

The thing is it was working fine no problem before but after an update a few weeks ago (i think) this issue arose.

I dont have a mesh system, i have a UDM (Dream Machine) router from Ubiquiti and this is wired to 3 Unifi Access Points - i am sure its the app as it was working before and i have no problems with live view on the main RING app.

I trying to cover all avenues by getting Ubiquiti to check it out also.

Hi,

I did some more testing as follows;

Wifi over Hotspot for both connections.

Connected my Android tablet to my iOS (Phone) hotspot and used Rapid Ring for 20-30 mins with no issues.

Connect my iPhone to my Android tablet hotspot and used Rapid Ring - immediately got the weak connection message.

So, it seems as though either the Rapid Ring app or iOS connection manager isn’t working as expected.

If anyone else has an Android device or older iOS version, can they test and post ?

This is basically the behavior I’ve noticed that lead me to start this other thread.

But in short, I’m basically to unable to connect to any camera, 2.5ghz, 5ghz, or wired to get live video with complaints of issues on either end.

Ubiquiti seemed to be baffled themselves with this, they clealry dont think its an internal internet / network issue.

They gave me a beta release of the next upgrade to the access points and router to see if this resolves the issue… well after a full reset and update… did not fix the issue.

The Rapid Ring app clearly must have an issue on IOS app v1.6.3 (1.6.3.0), as the main ring app live view has no issues whatsoever.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a Ubiquiti issue, because I have also have a unifi setup and Rapid Ring works perfect on Android devices.

It does not work well on iOS (iPhone or iPad) - I would say the issue is with the iOS Rapid Ring app.

Hi,

Update to the latest iOS Rapid Ring app v1.7.0.3 - I don’t want to curse it, but it seems more stable.

Can you all post some feedback if you try the new app.

1 Like

mine was fine utill the update. now it doesnt connect even though the main screen shows them online.

Hi,

Kill the app , launch the app and try again.

did that

1 Like

I updated to v1.7.0 (1.7.0.3). about 2 days ago… I did have to delete and reboot phone and reinstall for it to work as it gave me the unable to connect warning a few times… i am not going to jinx it but it does seems to have fixed whatever the issue was after the reinstall!

I have turned off auto updates on my phone just in case! will keep testing - Its been working fine on my android tablet throughout all the updates no problem.