Random chime ring with Ring Pro

My doorbell chime goes off randomly on occasion which is particulary irritating in the middle of the night, when this happens I don’t get a notification on my phone, no video is triggered and nobody is at the door. I searched the community board for answers and found that my mechanical chime is not on the Ring list of compatible chimes. I bought a new chime which is on the list but the same thing happens. On one occasion when I walked out of my door it triggered the motion on the Ring Pro and I got half a chime on the doorbell then it stopped. I never had problems with my doorbell before I got the Ring Pro. There is more to this than simply having a doorbell chime on the list which seems to be the usual answer.

@Robert6217 wrote:

My doorbell chime goes off randomly on occasion which is particulary irritating in the middle of the night, when this happens I don’t get a notification on my phone, no video is triggered and nobody is at the door. I searched the community board for answers and found that my mechanical chime is not on the Ring list of compatible chimes. I bought a new chime which is on the list but the same thing happens. On one occasion when I walked out of my door it triggered the motion on the Ring Pro and I got half a chime on the doorbell then it stopped. I never had problems with my doorbell before I got the Ring Pro. There is more to this than simply having a doorbell chime on the list which seems to be the usual answer.

That’s a strange head-scratcher. But reading through previous posts in the community, it seems your Phantom or Partial chiming has occurred to others with the Ring Pro. Most have good luck with a reboot . . . a Hard Factory reset.

It is possible that some corrupted Firmware was pushed automatically to your Ring Pro, or during your initial setup, so instead of completing just a standard “setup”, doing a Hard Factory Reset will require you to take the cover off (remove the security screw) and press & hold the reset button for 30 seconds (the button on the right side of the doorbell). This Hard-reset will wipe out any possibly-corrupted downloaded Firmware (other than what it had from the factory).

For Hard Factory Resets, it’s best that you Remove your Ring device from your phone app, prior to any Hard Reset (Main Menu > Devices > select your Ring Pro > Device Settings (Gear Icon) > General Settings > Remove This Device.

After the Hard Reset, your device will start a setup, and do not click “Skip” when you get to the part when it is downloading new, fresh “Glitch-free” Firmware (could take 5 or 6 minutes). If possible, temporarily move the router closer, so a good clean firmware download can happen.

https://community.ring.com/t5/Video-Doorbells/Phantom-dings-from-original-chime/td-p/2070/page/2

If your problem continues, you can call Ring Support by telephone:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041597471-Ring-s-Response-to-COVID-19

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036196372-Get-in-Touch

I hope you find this helpful :slight_smile:

I will give the reset a try, I first thought that it might be a compatibiluity issue as I have an older Rittenhouse mechanical chime doorbell chime which I could not find on the ring compatibility list. So I went and bought a doorbell that was on Rings compatability list an installed it only to still have the same issue, if fact it seemed to do it more often. So I put the old chime back up as it sounded better. I had no problems with this old doorbell for weeks after initially installing the Ring system. It took a couple of days but after hooking the bell back up I got the middle of the night ghost chime again.

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I’m having the same problem.

No I just hooked the chime and intended to come back and look around to see if there was another solution. Only thing I can think of is to try another reset in case the frimware changed anything. If they come out with a new doorbell that works and does not have this problem I thought I would move this one to the back door which I don’t need to chime. My problem sounds just like yours, no alert on the app, phantom ring, only difference is mine is at full volume like a regular ring. If you get a solution please reply back.