Questions before possible purchase

I have had 5 video doorbells from various manufacturers and all have had serious issues. A neighbor suggested I look at ring products. He couldn’t show me one so I am hoping someone here can answer some questions.

I am looking at the Pro 2 video doorbell. It has all the features we are looking for but ring support told me the radar feature of this doorbell is not used for motion detection.
They told me the doorbell uses PIR and Pixel detection for motion detection.

We live on a really busy street and regular motion detection does not work well because of the volume of vehicles going by. At night it is worse because the headlights set off false alerts most of the night.

The last doorbell we had also had a radar sensor but it was used for motion detection and it worked great. Not sure if I can post the brand here. But Unfortunately their app has so many other issues that it was impossible to use. Primarily their app would not work on a tablet.

We have an elderly family member and the app on a tablet is critical since it takes him so long to get to the door and it gives him advance warning if anyone approaches.

1. How well does the motion detection on Ring work? I can’t have it going off with frequent false alerts.

2. We have an existing doorbell so I want to use a wired model with the existing chime

3. Does it have person/package or simple motion detection?

4. Does the ring app include a snapshot of what triggered the motion?
    The reason I am asking is because I can not use my phone during work. I can look at a snapshot pic on my smartwatch and if it is an emergency I can check the app at the first opportunity.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Hi @user8239. I’ll share some helpful articles that will show some of the benefits of our Ring Doorbells.

This Community post here has lots of information about Motion Detection.

The Ring Pro 2 would be a great choice here.

Our Smart Alerts feature is exactly what you are looking for! Check it out here.

This is our Rich Notifications feature.

I hope this helps!

Make sure you have a subscription or else ring will turn on your motion alerts full time and you’ll be alerted every time a bug or moth flys by. It’s pretty shady business to turn-on features like that just to strong arm you into a subscription.

Oh, and never let that subscription lapse, not even for a second if you want to keep your older video, they’ll delete it in a heartbeat with zero grace period. I could see turning off all functionality until you subscribe, but their way is to essentially harass you into a subscription or punish you if you don’t do it immediately… Really not a great business model.

Oh, and if you use the trial period if you do buy a device, make sure you upgrade BEFORE it expires and make sure your app picks up in that subscription because it probably won’t and they will ask you to delete and reinstall the app instead of making things work on their end, you know, like they should if they were a reputable business…

We have a 16 channel NVR that records everything locally without needing a subscription, I just got ring because our NVR doesn’t have two-way audio - I’m now kicking for not just upgrading that rather than dealing with Ring.

Hi @Ryan7777. I’ve address your concern in this post here. Please remember to adhere to the Community Guidelines, as posting the same thing in multiple topics is considering “spamming” and can result in a ban on the Ring community. Thank you for sharing your feedback.