Pulsing white light followed by solid white light on Video Doorbell Pro?

Ring sent me a replacement Doorbell Pro to replace a unit that died (it required re-connecting to the network every few weeks, then stopped connecting altogether). The new Pro installed without issues, but about 30 minutes later I noticed it was disconnected. The unit was unresponsive. I’ve tried resetting (30s side button press) and power cycling it (leaving it off for 10 minutes) when it starts up the button spins white once, then pulses white for a while, and then ends up with a solid white circle.

Anyone have any idea what this means?

I’m using the 16V/30VA supply that Ring recommends so I’m pretty sure it’s not the power supply.

I’ve tried calling customer support but after an hour on hold (and being apologized to by a pre-recorded voice more times that was healthy) I hung up.

I have another Pro unit that is working fine, so maybe it’s just bad luck with the faulty one and the replacement.

While I’d appreciated any help for this specific issue, looking at the bigger picture, Ring’s customer support is pretty bad, and their products are failing more and more often for me. Not a good combination for a home security system. I’m thinking of cutting my losses and ditching Ring (I own an extensive Ring security system + multiple cameras) and switching to a more reliable system with better customer support. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Hi @nevetssf. There is a number of factors that contribute to your Ring Pro falling offline and disconnecting. Things like RSSI, wifi interference, improper installation or faulty wiring can all lead to intermittent connection. This Community post here is a great resource for hardwiring your Ring Pro.

If you continue to experience this concern, you can reach out to our support team for the next best steps. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Exactly same thing started happening with my Ring Video Doorbell Pro tonight. I have tried everything you have also. The bell works fine but no WIFI. I wonder if it crashed during a firmware update? But a hard reset should sort that out. No idea really. But a real shame that a pattern (spin once, pulse for 14 flashes, then solid) is not documented publically

2 Likes

Same thing happening with my Ring Pro (gen 1) as well with a Ring Chime (no old mech/digital chime). I connect it up, but it will disconnect overnight, then basically gets into that same solid white light / very slow pulsating white light. I shut off power to everything finally can get it to repair, but same thing happens again, disconnects from Wifi overnight - solid white light. My power level is “Good” i’ve measured 17-18V at both the transformer and doorbell itself, RSSI is -40 which is good and the Doorbell is literally right next to my router. No other devices have connectivity issues. I’ve tried multiple 16v 30va transformers to no avail. @MarkH1 or @nevetssf did you ever get this resolved? It’s driving me nuts!

My last ditch solution is upgrading to a 24v 40va transformer to see if that works. I do have a long run of bell wire (60-80ft) from transformer to doorbell and maybe its not getting consistent power or something. I also think its not coincidence that it disconnects overnight - I’m thinking the IR/nightvision which requires more power may have something to do with it? Ugh so frustrating! Hopefully the 24v transformer works.

I just noticed my ring has been offline for a few days I have the same issue with the non documented pulsing light and normal troubleshooting steps fail. Does anyone have a solution?

The white light could be a firmware update, in which your Video Doorbell Pro should be fully function right after completion of the update. The solid white light is a good sign that there is power making it to your Video Doorbell Pro.

Try to reconnect your Ring device by following these steps. This Help Center article also has tips for troubleshooting low power concerns, if needed.

If this concern persists, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.