Product Request - outdoor gate/fence door sensor

I’m really hoping ring will just come out with a waterproof either magnetic gyro controlled sensor to feel the gate movement or even the two piece magnet contact sensor works just SOMETHING that is waterproof designed specifically for our outdoor security. I used a normal one and have done my best to waterproof but doesn’t look good and definitely has connection issues with I think low temps and rain. You have so much outdoor ring gear already why not let us confidentially monitor our outermost entrances. Thanks

3 Likes

Hi @AlRjordan. I definitely understand wanting to monitor gates and other things that are outside the home, such as sheds, but the current Ring Alarm system is really designed to all be used within the same home as connectivity issues can arise when trying to monitor anything outside the home with the sensors. As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this suggestion for an outdoor sensor of some sort and any other future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. Feel free to link that post you make in the Feature Request board here so other neighbors that come to this thread can easily find your feature! :slight_smile:

This would be awesome feature I am trying become creative with this as well

I had an extra door sensor and mounted it on a gate I use to enter my house through the back door. I love knowing someone has entered my backyard (before they get into my house) since the chime for the gate has a different sound than the doors. My son has unexpectedly come home in the middle of the night and I had ample time to grab a phone and appropriate protection without the added panic that someone was already in my house.

I realize the sensor I’m using isn’t rated for outdoors, but I covered it in the plastic bag it came in and duct taped it to the gate, which seems to have protected it from the elements - I’ve had it in place for maybe six months with no issues. I recently removed the ugly black duct tape and added silicone around the open edges and hope that continues to work.

2 Likes

Hello @AlRjordan , @Playj18 , and @kaykay050 ,

After reading your posts, I remembered another post by @MrHt where he found a unique solution, using a 2nd Gen Contact Sensor in his high-moisture shower area.

He used an empty Tic Tac mint container. To better protect it from the elements, I used the container upside-down, so that the lid was on the bottom (less likely for water to enter). I thought it was a pretty neat idea and used it on my garage doors, mounting the magnet portion on the side of the door, and mounting the container along the door sill with the Contact Sensor inside. Although the Contact Sensor is on the interior indoor side, I worried that driving rain might enter between the garage’s door sill and the door itself, because it is not a very tight seal from the outside. But the point is, the Tic Tac container is something to consider if you are trying to keep water away from the sensor portion.

Here is the link to his post:

Also remember that even if you have a 1st Generation Ring Alarm with 1st Generation Contact Sensors, you still can use the newer 2nd Generation Contact Sensor with your 1st Gen Alarm, because they are still compatible.
I hope you find my sharing of @MrHt idea helpful. :wink:

2 Likes

Hey neighbors, the Ring Alarm Outdoor Contact Sensor is now available for pre-order! Please check out this Ring Community announcement to learn more, and comment on the post to share how you plan to use your’s. Thank you for your feedback and interest in this new device!