Plug Stick Up Cam Battery Charging Cord In Outside

I have 2 Stick Up Cam Battery cameras mounted outside under the soffit. In the soffit right above the cameras there is an outlet. Is it possible to leave the charging cord plugged in fulltime to constantly charge the battery?

Thanks.

Dave.

@DaveH61 wrote:

I have 2 Stick Up Cam Battery cameras mounted outside under the soffit. In the soffit right above the cameras there is an outlet. Is it possible to leave the charging cord plugged in fulltime to constantly charge the battery?

Thanks.

Dave.

Hello @DaveH61 ,

Yes Dave, you can do exactly that. I would also recommend that you a hard Factory Reset on your Stick Up cameras then too. Let me explain why.

When the Stick Up Cams 3rd Gen (Battery, Plug In, and Solar) rolled out of the factory, they were all identical. The first difference was what was packaged in the box with them. The “Battery” version box included the “Quick Release Battery Pack” (without a cord), and the “Plug In” included the power cords (no battery), and the Solar version included a “Quick Release Battery Pack” and a Solar Panel.

Then during the initial setup, you designated whether the cam would be powered by a Battery or with a Power Outlet. During that setup the Stick Up Cams became different because they downloaded the appropriate Firmware updates according to their power source that they would be using. The Battery version downloaded more simple, less power-hungry algorithms to extend battery life. The “Plug In” was not concerned about battery life and downloaded more complex algorithms to provide more advanced options and feature settings.

So it’s probably a better idea to perform a hard “Factory Reset”, which will wipe clean any downloaded “Battery” version Firmware and restore the cam back to the original Firmware that it left the manufacturer with. And then after it reboots, it will begin a setup again, but this time designate it as a “Plug In” powered cam so it can download the appropriate Firmware. You perform the “Factory Reset” by pressing and holding the Reset Button for at least 20-seconds, and then release.

If you decide later to go back to using only the Battery, another Factory Reset can be accomplished to now wipe the “Plug-In” firmware out and download the “Battery” Firmware again. :slight_smile:

I’ve heard of some people using this “Stick Up” Cam outdoors with both the power cord and a battery as a back-up. I figure if there is a big power outage, then not only does your camera lose electrical outlet power, but your Wi-Fi Router would lose power too. So having a cam running on a backup battery with no Wi-Fi is the same as a “Plug In” cam without a battery. The counter argument is that a nefarious person could cut/unplug the power cord, and in this case the camera would continue to operate. I hope that there would be a good last image video of the person doing this. And routing the cord high or to an indoor outlet would minimize this possibility.

But yes, you can plug in your Stick-Up cams fulltime AND have the “Quick Release Battery Pack” installed in the battery compartment of your Stick Up cams at the same time just fine. :slight_smile:

1 Like