Picture is cropped when using motion zone

If I remember correctly , before the new boxed zones were introduced, my stick up camera had a longer sensor range. I live on a busy street so I had to angle my cam so that it would not pick up cars passing my driveway which caused a lot of alerts and video. So I angled the camera to show only the driveway (slightly longer than a car) and the sidewalk. Which eliminated the excessive car vid’s. So I know the sensor ability is there . And as it is now , the covered area is very minimal. It only covers from the back of the car up to the sunroof. Which does not cover the front doors. I will send you a screen snapshot. As you can see , it’s a very small area to not be able to completely cover

1 Like

Here is a screenshot of the Motion Zone adjustment screen. The pic in this is cropped !? This is again a very short area . Not even a car length.

1 Like

I had the same issue when that feature was made available. Eventually it will get fixed when they get around to it.
This app is a mess. Keep checking one day it will be corrected. I have had bug after bug after bug since a got this dam camera. About a year now. One bug gets squashed and two more pop up.

So disappointed with ring. I don’t think I will ever buy a ring camera again. And won’t recommend one either.
I have a nest and a blink first generation and a kasa , few years old and they all fire on all cylinders 99 percent of the time. Good luck

1 Like

Looking for a solution to this issue. Would appreciate any Ring tech on this forum to reply back.

2 Likes

I too am looking for this… I can’t get it to cover my whole driveway. The motion zone is way too small.

1 Like

Hi neighbors! Thanks for sharing your feedback on the Community. You can read more about this feature in our Community Post here. Motion zones can not be extended to the full area of your Live View when creating these zones. This is because the area your camera covers is slightly larger than the area your motion sensors cover, so this is how the feature is intended to work. I hope that helps clear things up! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, no, it does not clear things up. We all understand that the motion zone doesn’t extend the full view, and what we are saying that that is a poor idea. If motion zones on my doorbell can extend the full field of view, then they can on the stickup cams as well. The article you link to a) is inaccurate - you can switch between the basic and advanced motion zone types; b) doesn’t address the following:

1. explain that the cropped view is temporary and when it will be updated?
  2. if it is a battery issue, then explain that, and also give us the choice about using the cropped FOV. I have a solar panel, so I’m not concerned about battery life.
  3. the real problem with this is the guessing game I have to play on adusting the camera versus the motion zone, which requires me getting out a ladder - I go to live view, adjust, go to zone view, and see if it covers what I want. Then, spend a couple days dealing with motion alerts that are in the FOV, but not in the zone, so what’s the point of the zones; then go back to my ladder.
  4. What is the size of the motion detection area - does it extend at all into the upper FOV? Is that dependent on the sensitivity slider?
  5. Can we have actual specifications?
1 Like

Hi @theorydude. Happy to chime in for Caitlyn here. The Customizable Motion Zones are not temporary. We are constantly working on improving your experience with Ring, so it’s tough to say when the next update will take place. This Help Center article here may shed some more light on this subject and give you a more clear idea of how it works.

If you need any assistance with setting up your Motion Zones, our support team is always happy to help, as well as answer an in-depth technical questions you may have. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Same thing here, can’t set the motion zone as I want it, because the picture is cropped when I click to edit the zone. The top half of the view zone is gone when I click edit zone!

Hello Caitlyn, Sorry for the delayed reply. So , in my first query I mentioned that the previous motion sensor area was larger in size. So much so that I had to angle my camera so that it would not see the road at the end of my driveway (which is only a little more than a car length long) because the traffic was triggering the camera. Now , even though I park my car right against the garage door (seriously) , the sensor area won’t even extend past my back doors (suv is parked with back towards the garage door) . The suv is a small jeep patriot.
So now my whole car is not covered by the sensor. Wish there was a way to send a photo or vid. Rober

Hello, please see my latest reply to Caitlyn. Robert

Hi @rawmacias. I’ve noticed you post about this concern on a few different topics. I think it may be best to contact our support team to get this resolved for you. Our support team will be able to troubleshoot with you in real time and identify the best course of action for you.

Hi, is this “feature” only for battery cameras? I have one plugged in and it doesn’t crop the image to create a motion zone. Was this done to improve the battery? If you are going to crop the area for the motion. Crop a bit from the bottom and the top but the are on the top is too large of a chunk missing. I have mine to pointed to the back yard and I would like to catch motion if someone jump over the fence. By what you are saying, I would have to point the camera higher so most of the coverage is the sky. Well I don’t expect for people to be parachuting to my back yard. I think this needs to be fixed as this “feature “ looks like more like a problem.

Thanks

Hey neighbors! I wanted to step into here to clear things up and paint the full picture for you in this situation of using the Motion Zone feature and the Stick Up Cam 3rd Gen while wired via the Plug-In Adapter, or by battery via the Quick Release Battery and/or Solar.

If you have the Stick-Up Cam Plug-In (3rd Gen), this means that you are supplying constant power to the device and allowing it to operated on the wired device motion settings. This means that when wired, you will not see a crop when selecting your Motion Zones because the device will use our wired devices motion detection to capture events based off of your more in-depth settings to select from.

In comparison, if you are using the Stick-Up Cam Battery/Solar(3rd Gen), this means that you are having the camera operate off of the battery power that is available to it (and recharged to the battery from the solar panel), thus having it operated on battery device motion settings. These settings differ from wired and have some limitations to help conserve battery life and how the device functions, which is why you will see this crop. You can read more about how battery devices function with Motion Zones in our Community article here.

An important note from that article is that “Motion zones can not be extended to the full area of your Live View when creating these zones. This is because the area your camera covers is slightly larger than the area your motion sensors cover.” If you have your Stick Up Cam 3rd Gen operated via battery or solar, we recommend changing the power mode to Wired.

I ​hope this clears this up for you, neighbors, and if you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know below.