Phone notifications when door sensors remain open?

Just switched to this from another service and already missing the service

1. No emails when doors are opened, only push notification
  2. No notification when the door is left open, no reminder

Much improvement needed

8 Likes

Hi @Cyberbug. As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. Feel free to link that post you make in the Feature Request board here so other neighbors that come to this thread can easily find your feature!

1 Like

Do you have an Amazon Alexa or Echo? I’m wondering if you couldn’t accomplish this using an Alexa routine?

You can set up an Alexa routine to alert when the door opens or closes but there isn’t a way to get an alert if the door sensor remains open. This is a huge omission from Ring and it is really disappointing the lack of official response on this feature given the amount of requests it has had.

3 Likes

Hi
You can setup 2 routines with Alexa.
Routine (1) When the Door is opened:
Name: Whatever you want
When: Select the device and the trigger you are looking for. For me its the door and the trigger is open.
Anytime: for me is Always. You can setup as you like,
Add action: I did customized
“Set a timer for 10 minutes”
From: This device in my case, again you can setup as you need.
Save

Routine (2) When the Door is Closed:
Name: Whatever you want
When: Select the device and the trigger you are looking for. For me its the door and the trigger is closed.
Anytime: for me is Always. You can setup as you like,
Add action: I did customized
“cancel timer for 10 minutes”
From: This device in my case, again you can setup as you need.
Save

Only way I found it to work. A little tedious but hey I know.

Under your routines menu you can tap the Blue play button to simulate the routine happening.
Or physically do the deed.

5 Likes

@ivan327 Does yours set a timer even when the alexa app isn’t open? Mine doesn’t seem to send the routine unless the app is open when the door is opened. Heeeelllppp please :slight_smile:

No, tried it. We are hoping someone else (Amazon/ Alexa) to do what Ring needs to do?
This should be a “must” feature and should not be hard to implement. I asked for this feature 4 years ago. All other security systems offer this “door remained open” feature, except Ring.

1 Like

I created this routine and it works. Alexa plays tones when my garage door has been left open too long.

but…every time the garage door opens Alexa announces “5 minutes, starting now”. That’s annoying. I already tried enabling brief mode.

Does anyone have a solution?

1 Like

i set it on the echo. iphone doesn’t work. Android maybe dont know

Same here, there is a suppress option, but that only relates to how long Alexa should wait before allowing the same routine to trigger again.

A friendly reminder to everyone interested to upvote this feature request (title of the request is a bit misleading but this is what it is)

4 Likes

This is so desperately needed, like I have a schlage smart lock already but if the door is left open and the bolts extends schlage will tell me that the door is closed. However I would much rather get an alert if the door is left opened for greater than 5 minutes so I can go down and close it.

How long would it take an engineer to write some code to make this happen?

3 Likes

Ring get on this request! Badly needed feature.

4 Likes

Much needed feature. This was one of the first things I (tried) to set up when I got my system. Might have to reconsider Ring if I can’t do this.

4 Likes

This is seriously still needed! I want to be notified when my garage freezer and fridge doors are open too long or get left open by my kids.

3 Likes

For posterity, I would encourage folks who have not, to vote for open sensor notifications here: Open sensor notification

2 Likes

This question should not be considered solved. I left the door in my garage open to cool the garage down but forgot about it. What’s the point of arming my ring alarm if the door is kept open and it doesn’t tell me it has been open all night for anyone to just walk in?

1 Like

Hi @Osmotisis. If you have a Contact Sensor on the door, you should be required to bypass it in order to arm your Ring Alarm. You can learn about bypassing sensors in this Help Center article here.

I have just started setting up my Ring Security System to replace our older system. I have now stopped the setup, as one of the main features I need of the system is to tell me if a door has been left open (e.g., backdoor open for >2 minutes = phone text). This is important not only for mandoors but for alerts when a garage door is left open, which happens to the best of us. I have voted on this feature, I am just shocked that Ring missed this simple yet very important feature.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.